What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

BiBiNhA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good info then, and good to know that it's not causing any problems. The only thing I can think that it might be doing is logging some of your activity. Not sure if you can turn logging off or not, although I doubt it takes up much space. Fingers crossed it will be enabled in iOS 5 and we can forget about the fuss.

In the meantime it's kind of fun to be able to amaze other iPad owners with our "magical" skills though. ;)

I finally resetted my ipad and solved my problem by putting the multi-gestures using my laptop that is still running Snow Leopard. I could put the function and remove the developer tab from my ipad and still have the features.

It most likely has something to do with Lion Os.

:)

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good info then, and good to know that it's not causing any problems. The only thing I can think that it might be doing is logging some of your activity. Not sure if you can turn logging off or not, although I doubt it takes up much space. Fingers crossed it will be enabled in iOS 5 and we can forget about the fuss.

In the meantime it's kind of fun to be able to amaze other iPad owners with our "magical" skills though. ;)

I finally resetted my ipad and solved my problem by putting the multi-gestures using my laptop that is still running Snow Leopard. I could put the function and remove the developer tab from my ipad and still have the features.

It most likely has something to do with Lion Os.

:)
Thanks for letting us know. I've been running OS X 10.7 (Lion) for several months now...that bit still isn't on my iPad. Strange. :confused: At least you got it working okay. Enjoy!

ahijadita12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xcode version for mac osx 10.5.8 for adding multi touch gestures to an ipad 2?

Hi Richard,
I hope you can help me, please. I want to add multi touch gestures to an ipad 2 with a macbook OS X 10.5.8; I tried to installed Xcode 3.2.6, but that was impossible, because I need snow leopard, I downloaded xcode 3.1.4 but the ipad was not recognized.
What can I do? Thanks for your attention and time. :)

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Richard,
I hope you can help me, please. I want to add multi touch gestures to an ipad 2 with a macbook OS X 10.5.8; I tried to installed Xcode 3.2.6, but that was impossible, because I need snow leopard, I downloaded xcode 3.1.4 but the ipad was not recognized. What can I do? Thanks for your attention and time. :)
Sorry...no idea how to make it work with Leopard. I think Xcode is up to 4.0 now...have to check.

Unfortunately the multitouch gestures were removed with the iOS 5 update which is disappointing...one because I liked and got used to them, but moreover they were supposedly going to be included in iOS 5. However that didn't happen. I'm going to see if it can be reactivated as soon as I have time.

Sorry I can't help you, but maybe someone else with chime in with a solution.

Best of luck and post back if you figure it out!

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xcode is at 4.2, from todays update.

and poster have an iPad 2, which iOS 5 for iPad 2 have kept the MT gestures, only iPad 1 affected.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Multitasking Gestures for iPad 1 on iOS 5

Well, I tried using the original formula (first post of this thread) to re-enable multitasking gestures on an iPad 1 since it was removed with the new iOS 5 upgrade and it's a no go...at least with Xcode 4.2.

I don't know why Apple opted to leave this feature off of the original iPad but enable it on the iPad 2. It worked perfectly fine on the iPad 1. I'm hoping it was a serious oversight...although I doubt that's the case. However I can't imagine why they didn't include it.

Perhaps they will include it in the next update. For anyone that would like to voice their opinion, I'd suggest joining me in filing a feedback report:

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Last edited:
OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 Multitasking Gestures Are Back!

It's baaaaccck! It took a week, but an enterprising developer has given owners of the original iPad with iOS 5 the ability to enable multitasking gestures once again...just like the iPad 2. Phew!

I've updated an earlier post about it (first post on this thread) with instructions and a video.

The skill level to enable these features is fairly basic.

I suspect the gestures feature will be enabled on the original iPad in the future, so if you're not up for it, it'll probably show up one of these days. But if you just can't wait (or are just curious) visit the first post!

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wondering if this works for iphone 4 too, airplay mirroring?

but my apple tv is jailbroken, and i didn't update yet, either....alongside 6 other devices, none on iOS 5 yet!!

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wondering if this works for iphone 4 too, airplay mirroring?

but my apple tv is jailbroken, and i didn't update yet, either....alongside 6 other devices, none on iOS 5 yet!!
No idea...worth a try!

I tried to update my Apple TV2 the other day and it kept saying that it was up to date on 4.3 something! I thought it was supposed to go to iOS 5 as well?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple tv only got 4.4.1, it was causing problems, apple pulled it, released again same day.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad doesn't give me the option to do AirPlay mirroring :( . Any solution?

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad

Attachments

• image-975550222.png
    image-975550222.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 295
OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple tv only got 4.4.1, it was causing problems, apple pulled it, released again same day.
I'm confused (nothing new). My Apple TV2 is on v4.3 and it says it's up to date. Did you mean they released 4.4.1 and the pulled it and then re-released it again? In any case, my ATV2 thinks it's up to date.

Since the redsn0w "hack" talked about enabling AirPlay Mirroring (as well as gestures) for the iPad 1/Apple TV2, I'm wondering if mirroring will actually work with 4.4?

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad doesn't give me the option to do AirPlay mirroring :( . Any solution?

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad
It doesn't work for me either. I checked the comments on the LifeHacker website and others are saying it's not working for them as well...so I guess we were mislead. I removed the references to it in the posts, at least until it starts working, IF it starts working.

Sorry for the confusion!

Most reactions

Latest posts