What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LesMarti said:
I heard you can just pull it out of the CD for Snow Leopard and install the developers tools. Instead of buying CodeX... Is this true?

SL ships with X Code 3. I've seen reports of folks using that, but then I've seen others saying it has to be X Code 4. Worth a try I suppose. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone 4

LesMarti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found XCode 3 did not work although here is a video on other options.

Through XCode 4 it worked great. It was easy although time consuming as well as space consuming on my Mac.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb39fKzkBd4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Camoman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, this seems to me like a money grab from Apple. Think about it. It's fairly difficult to do this on a PC, or being non-jailbroken, and for a small price of $5, you can buy Apple's software or register as a developer for Apple. Apple themselves probably leaked the Xcode trick just so they could make more money. Just sayin'. :)

Reaction score
Camoman12 said:
Lol, this seems to me like a money grab from Apple. Think about it. It's fairly difficult to do this on a PC, or being non-jailbroken, and for a small price of $5, you can buy Apple's software or register as a developer for Apple. Apple themselves probably leaked the Xcode trick just so they could make more money. Just sayin'. :)

A plausible idea, if you take the complexity of the other methods into account.

However, using XCode4 is by far the longest method of activating the multitouch gestures. Using ibackupbot takes 10min max, from reading the instructions, downloading the app, editing the plist and applying the tweak.
In contrast, buying&downloading XCode4takes longer, as it is, what 5GB? And then you also need to install it? XCode may be the simplest way of activating these features, but it is not a quick way.

Camoman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Camoman12 said:

A plausible idea, if you take the complexity of the other methods into account.

However, using XCode4 is by far the longest method of activating the multitouch gestures. Using ibackupbot takes 10min max, from reading the instructions, downloading the app, editing the plist and applying the tweak.
In contrast, buying&downloading XCode4takes longer, as it is, what 5GB? And then you also need to install it? XCode may be the simplest way of activating these features, but it is not a quick way.

Agreed lol, it only took me about 10 minutes too, and I went in there edited all the code manually xD

v0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If only the pc method would allow the on/off option in settings that would be RAD
In the mean time just gotta wait for a Mac to stroll along with Xcode haha

I use activators on my iPhone and it's absolutely CONVENIENCE BLISS I tell ya .... Or you can I'm beyond lazy

Thanks to the posters

v0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't help but to try this out because moving parts I.e. Home button has always been a pet peeve of mine
But I digress...

Gestures are BAD ASS !!! And i thought activators were rad on the iPhone

FYI for fellow forumers I did this via ibackupbot with the most up to date iTunes software and iPad firmware. 10.2.2.12 and 4.3.2 respectively.

I barely had an hour with gestures but I thought I'd share this with skeptics like myself. Also to let everyone know, if they didn't already, how awesome this is.

So far minimal lag as opposed to what some have said but I suspect that's cus of the new ipad2 hardware. Rarely do I game so haven't had much experience with fruit ninja but I do have FIFA so will try that out and report back!

Thanks poster 

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I finally did it ! Got Xcode (55minutes & 4.59 GO) and ran the Installer (10 mn) .I was very surprised , I thought it was going to last hours !!!

Xcode itself is 4.1 MO . So I really don't understand how come it's much longer and heavier for other people ????

Anyway , now I have the multitouch on my iPad :D It's great !

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something happened yesterday , after reseting my iPad the multitouch option in "General" has gone from my device ! The gestures are still working ...
Has this happened to anyone else ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yptcn said:
Something happened yesterday , after reseting my iPad the multitouch option in "General" has gone from my device ! The gestures are still working ...
Has this happened to anyone else ?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, I grabbed "Multitouch" from Xcode, and have powered down, synced and stuff, but the switch still shows in Settings.
Exactly what do you mean "reset"?

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did something dumb...panicked and restored completely my iPad !

Finally it was nothing serious , I had put the zoom on , NO idea how I did that, and thought my iPad was not working anymore... That's why I restored it.... Anyway , since then , I have no more multitouch option on it but they still work great.

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! Although it took me a little longer to install the XCode (had to find the installer package via reading comments in the App Store), paying the $5 was nothing....and I am definitely going to enjoy this new secret! Thanks again....

Most reactions

Latest posts