What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Not for the original iPad. Although various websites including LifeHacker originally thought that the redsn0w hack that allowed multitasking gestures (without JB) on the original iPad with iOS 5 would also enable true AirPlay Mirroring on the original iPad, it wasn't true.

FWIW AirPlay mirroring may never come to the original iPad due to the processing power and RAM required to run it. I suspect Apple's fairly high standards for performance wouldn't allow it due to the latency that would occur, but that's just my WAG. They may be able to tweak it enough to be acceptable and implement it after all.

I meant iPad mirroring to a TV, and not AppleTV mirroring. Because jailbroken iPads can mirror the screen to a TV with a simple plist modification, and the video that showed it, did a demonstration of it with Real Racer. So because the iOS 5 iPad multi gestures hack only modifies a plist, why can't it do this?
(sorry if my English is terrible).

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant iPad mirroring to a TV, and not AppleTV mirroring. Because jailbroken iPads can mirror the screen to a TV with a simple plist modification, and the video that showed it, did a demonstration of it with Real Racer. So because the iOS 5 iPad multi gestures hack only modifies a plist, why can't it do this?
(sorry if my English is terrible).

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad
Yes, we're on the same page. I haven't looked at the details but I'm pretty sure true AirPlay Mirroring as you describe would take more than simply changing a .plst file or it would have been done long ago. My WAG is that Apple won't implement it on the original iPad because the processing power and/or RAM simply won't measure up to their standards. Latency is always the issue with these things, and unless Apple is able to tweak the feature to match the performance of the iPad 2, it's probably not something original iPad owners will enjoy (at least without jailbreaking). Hope I'm wrong about that. Only time will tell.

jhall124

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just read that iOS 5.0.1 will have multi-tasking gester's for iPad 1 !!!
:)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jhall124 said:
Just read that iOS 5.0.1 will have multi-tasking gester's for iPad 1 !!!

:)

Yipee

Last edited by a moderator:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some good news for a change!
Great replies in the "What would it take for you to get an iPad 3 Richsadams

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitasking Gestures Added to Original iPad

As of 10 November, 2011 Multitasking Gestures were added to the features of the original iPad with the release of iOS 5.0.1.

To upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 simply connect your iPad to your computer, open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically, click on your iPad in the iTunes left-hand menu and under the Summary tab click on the "Check for Updates" button. Follow the directions. More here:

Updating your iOS device

Here's a list of tips to follow prior to your upgrade or if you run into any issues:

iOS 5 Upgrade Troubleshooting

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yay, I've got gestures Rich! Any update on our sad music app?

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions