What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i do a lot of woodworking at home and need to make purchases online a lot. When I get an email saying my purchase has shipped, I save it in a new folder. It seems when I go to check the status of my order in the new folder, the email will not load. Says it isn't formatted correctly...what...? I could read it when I got it...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. Are you online when you are checking the old email? Some emails pull content from the sender's server.

Try moving the email back into the Inbox. Mostly an experiment to see whether it's related to the email being in a folder or some other issue.

My method to handle this type of thing is to flag the emails, then move them out of the Inbox only when they are no longer relevant. That does result in a bit of clutter. I imagine it would be worse for you, since you're probably ording more often than I am.

On the rare occation that I want a permanent record of a purchase email, I print it as a PDF to an iCloud Drive folder. You can only do this if you are running iOS 10 or later.

1. Choose to Print the email.
  2. When you see the preview, pinch out so that you see the document full screen.
  3. Tap the share icon (box with up arrow), and choose where you want to put the PDF.

I typically choose to drop it into a folder in iCloud for the Doccuments app. You could also save it to Notes (keeps it as a PDF you can open), copy it to DropBox, or even email it to yourself again as a PDF attachment (which shouldn't have that pesky formating issue).

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another option for step 3 is opening it in iBooks on your iPad, rather than using cloud storage. Once in iBooks, it can be moved into a user-created folder. It also gets backed up when you synch to iTunes on your computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i do a lot of woodworking at home and need to make purchases online a lot. When I get an email saying my purchase has shipped, I save it in a new folder. It seems when I go to check the status of my order in the new folder, the email will not load. Says it isn't formatted correctly...what...? I could read it when I got it...

Hi Pauley.. - I'm an amateur woodworker myself - just put together a few picture frames using ambrosia maple (post elsewhere here) - concerning your issue, a little more information may help: 1) You posted in the iPad Pro forum, so assume that is the iPad model being used - correct; 2) What iOS is installed; 3) Are you using the native mail app on the iPad; and 4) What ISP and mail service are you using (e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, or other)? I order 'stuff' online almost daily and usually just keep the receipt emails in my inbox - then when the product is received, I move the emails to a 'Purchases' folder - let us know - Dave :)

OP
P

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange. Are you online when you are checking the old email? Some emails pull content from the sender's server.

Try moving the email back into the Inbox. Mostly an experiment to see whether it's related to the email being in a folder or some other issue.

My method to handle this type of thing is to flag the emails, then move them out of the Inbox only when they are no longer relevant. That does result in a bit of clutter. I imagine it would be worse for you, since you're probably ording more often than I am.

On the rare occation that I want a permanent record of a purchase email, I print it as a PDF to an iCloud Drive folder. You can only do this if you are running iOS 10 or later.

1. Choose to Print the email.
  2. When you see the preview, pinch out so that you see the document full screen.
  3. Tap the share icon (box with up arrow), and choose where you want to put the PDF.

I typically choose to drop it into a folder in iCloud for the Doccuments app. You could also save it to Notes (keeps it as a PDF you can open), copy it to DropBox, or even email it to yourself again as a PDF attachment (which shouldn't have that pesky formating issue).

I did move it back to,theninbox, but when I try to see it, I just get that spinning circle and it say loading...but nothing happens. It just spins...even if I try to print it, it asks me if I want to download the rest of the email (which contains the info I want...). It again, just spins. As far as saving it as a PDF, I don't have the option for that in Safari. I probably failed to mention that I'm using the iPad Pro first gen.

OP
P

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another option for step 3 is opening it in iBooks on your iPad, rather than using cloud storage. Once in iBooks, it can be moved into a user-created folder. It also gets backed up when you synch to iTunes on your computer.
Not sure how to open an email in iBooks. I am using an iPad Pro 1st gen.

OP
P

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Pauley.. - I'm an amateur woodworker myself - just put together a few picture frames using ambrosia maple (post elsewhere here) - concerning your issue, a little more information may help: 1) You posted in the iPad Pro forum, so assume that is the iPad model being used - correct; 2) What iOS is installed; 3) Are you using the native mail app on the iPad; and 4) What ISP and mail service are you using (e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, or other)? I order 'stuff' online almost daily and usually just keep the receipt emails in my inbox - then when the product is received, I move the emails to a 'Purchases' folder - let us know - Dave :)

I love ambrosia maple. I made a lot of bowls with that.
I do use an iPad Pro 1sr gen. I always update to the latest iOS which means I'm using 10.2.1. I am using the mail app that comes with the iPad. I use both gmail and Comcast. For the emails in question, they are all gmails.
Any help,would be appreciated. Oh, keep making sawdust....

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as saving it as a PDF, I don't have the option for that in Safari.

Tap the share icon at the upper right (the square with the up-arrow), and choose "Save PDF to iBooks." Much easier than in Mail.spp.

OP
P

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap the share icon at the upper right (the square with the up-arrow), and choose "Save PDF to iBooks." Much easier than in Mail.spp.
I do not have that option in apples mail. Here is a photo of what is happening and the options I have with emails. I cut out the left side for privacy reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 201

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I love ambrosia maple. I made a lot of bowls with that.
I do use an iPad Pro 1sr gen. I always update to the latest iOS which means I'm using 10.2.1. I am using the mail app that comes with the iPad. I use both gmail and Comcast. For the emails in question, they are all gmails.

Hi again Pauley.. - first, I'm assuming that you are connected to the internet when checking these emails - correct? Second, have you gone to the web-based mail client, such as Gmail, signed in to determine if the behavior is different? Third, have you 'Force Closed' the mail app on your iPad and/or try a 'Restart' of the device (guidelines below if unfamiliar w/ the processes.

Another option is to delete your mail accounts and then set each up again to see if the issue is corrected - yes, more of a pain. :) Dave

P.S. Check out the Any Images You Would Like to Share thread - the last post there at the moment shows my ambrosia maple frame - you can also leave pics of some of your woodwork projects, which I've done in the past, if desired.

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:
1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.
2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.
3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
P

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Pauley.. - first, I'm assuming that you are connected to the internet when checking these emails - correct? Second, have you gone to the web-based mail client, such as Gmail, signed in to determine if the behavior is different? Third, have you 'Force Closed' the mail app on your iPad and/or try a 'Restart' of the device (guidelines below if unfamiliar w/ the processes.

Another option is to delete your mail accounts and then set each up again to see if the issue is corrected - yes, more of a pain. :) Dave

P.S. Check out the Any Images You Would Like to Share thread - the last post there at the moment shows my ambrosia maple frame - you can also leave pics of some of your woodwork projects, which I've done in the past, if desired.
I just tried using the gmail app and I can see the email there. Funny that I can't see it with my iPad mail app...guess I'll just use that when it happens again.

OP
P

Pauley50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried using the gmail app and I can see the email there. Funny that I can't see it with my iPad mail app...guess I'll just use that when it happens again.
Oh, I just now posted a few things I made...beautiful frame!!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, try my other suggestions and if not helpful, then you might want to delete you Gmail account in the mail app and setup again. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts