What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails stuck in Outbox iOS 4.2.1

diegoisaac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there everyone...

Im having a problem when trying to send emails from my iPad, 16 GB, Wi-Fi, iOS 4.2.1.
For the records, send emails the normal way isnt a problem. I mean, when I open the default mail app, write and send it normally goes on.
But, when Im using any other app, and want to share an article (Reeder, RSS Reader), or some news (New York Times app) via email, it stucks in the outbox. Everytime I return to the mail app, the messages I wanted to share are there. I cant find a way to re-send this emails (just like send and receive in OUTLOOK).

Can you guys help me with this? Does it ever hapen with any of you guys?

Sorry for my english. Im from Brazil and still working on it.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there everyone...

Im having a problem when trying to send emails from my iPad, 16 GB, Wi-Fi, iOS 4.2.1.
For the records, send emails the normal way isnt a problem. I mean, when I open the default mail app, write and send it normally goes on.
But, when Im using any other app, and want to share an article (Reeder, RSS Reader), or some news (New York Times app) via email, it stucks in the outbox. Everytime I return to the mail app, the messages I wanted to share are there. I cant find a way to re-send this emails (just like send and receive in OUTLOOK).

Can you guys help me with this? Does it ever hapen with any of you guys?

Sorry for my english. Im from Brazil and still working on it.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

Yes - I have this 'problem' too. It seems that the iPad only sends this mail when it does a regular 'check' for incoming mail. So, if you've got your email updating set for a very long interval, or even manual, you'll have an 'issue'. So the only way to 'fix' it is to shorten the mail checking interval or......

If you want to force Mail to send the Outbox, then go to the 'Mail' app and press the 'refresh' icon at the bottom left hand side of the screen. That will manually force Mail to check for new emails and to send anything in the Outbox.

It's strange because this doesn't always happen to me...but I've certainly noticed it.

If the problem persists or gets worse or my suggestion doesn't work....then here's the solution to 99% of iPad problems

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

And your English is excellent - no need to apologise about that....

Have fun - and don't hesitate to get back to us if the problem persists.

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

diegoisaac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're so polite... Thanks in advance for your help.

Ill try your sugestions. Give 15 minutes and Ill be back to post the results...

OP
D

diegoisaac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of your sugestions worked for me.

I've tryed to send the email from the Reeder app, and it stuck in outbox, then i've killed the mail app just like you've mentioned, and tryed again.
I've turned off the iPad and tryed again, my mesages still there. I've tryed the reload button too. Nothing removes my messages from the outbox.

The image i've attached is from my mail app. Its in portuguese, so "saída" stands for "outbox".

Attachments

• image-1868270743.jpg
    image-1868270743.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 756

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A couple things you might check, since it does get to the out box.

Open the email in the outbox and make sure that the from fields is correct. This determines what mail serves the email will attempt to send from. And, I'm sure you did this, but make sure it has the to field filled out also.

If the from field is incorrect, go into Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and make sure your Default Account for Mail is set correctly.

Unless you have more than one account set up, the default account and from field should always be right, but it won't hurt to check.

OP
D

diegoisaac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the usefull tip to check back again the basics. I've changed the default account to another account and VOILA, i heard the little sound I was looking for. The shared news was sent. Then I deleted the other account, added it again, and it worked fine.

Thank you very much. Now everything is working properly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help. It only took me 20+ years in tech support to learn to always check the basics first. Even now I sometimes get carried away and jump straight to the complicated answer. ;)

OP
D

diegoisaac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're so damn right.
We want things to work so fast, and never back to the basics.

Thanks again, and again.

BridalQueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem, but in attempting to check and change things, I've managed to get the email stuck in the box. All of the buttons are greyed out and I can't move to any other mail boxes. help please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, try these common fixes, and see if they help.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

2Caipirinhias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wanted to a confirm that this worked for me. I noticed that I had about 10 messages stuck in my outbox and this suggestion worked in seconds. Thanks Scottish Tim.

Josie57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried everything on this thread and the emails still will not send. Also tried a reboot but when I hold home and power button it goes goes to the power slider to power off. Really need to email out my photos. Please help

Most reactions

Latest posts