What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails not working

taraferma007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a gmail and a hotmail account and I can't check either from my iPad 2. Internet is responding and working fine though. Anyone know what I can do? Thanks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi & welcome to the forum - :)

Assume that you have Wi-Fi on and can use the internet via Safari or another web browser - correct?

If so, have you gone to settings and selected 'Mail, Accounts, Calendars'? There you can 'add' email accounts including the ones you have mentioned - please respond to these questions in this thread before additional suggestions - good luck!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting the iPad recently? It's the best first step (and often last step) when the iPad starts misbehaving.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

OP
T

taraferma007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I've powered off. And yes, I have wifi and use Safari. When I go to both accounts the loading icon just turns and turns, no message comes up

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Other things you can try.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Delete and re-add the accounts.

OP
T

taraferma007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I added the email and can now check it from the 'mail' tab however it still does not respond if I enter hotmail.com..and I prefer that format.

OP
T

taraferma007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And now that I have added them to the 'mail' tab I can only check inbox, it doesn't give e option for other folders or spam.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wait, you're talking about accessing your email via Safari, aren't you?

I thought you were having problems with the Mail app. I have no experience using hotmail's web client, so I can't really advise.

Google's mobile web client works well enough with the iPad, and you can access the full desktop version by scrolling to the bottom of the email list and selecting Desktop, though there is no guarantee that all features will work. I've had problems when trying to access all the settings. The HTML version (available in the same place) is more compatible and accesses most of the same features. The interface isn't as pretty though.

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've added them to the mail app, you can access other folders, if the accounts are set up as imap, by tapping the account or mailbox name you're in at the top left of the drop down box, just keep going back, until you get to the main mailbox list.

If you've set them up as pop, I don't believe you get the folder syncing.

Mistress of Mischief

Most reactions

Latest posts