What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails in reading pane

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I delete spam messages on my iPad 2 I touch the email and it shows in my reading pane. Is that the same as fully opening the email in the sense that the sender will then know that he's hit a legit address? When I do this on my PC it's different and nothing gets opened so this isn't a problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is an html email, then maybe yes, since it has to hit his site to be viewed properly. A generic html link would not identify your address, but it would certainly be possible to craft an html link that could be associated with a database of email address. I don't think most spammers do this, it's probably too much trouble for the average buy-a-list spammer.

To delete emails without opening them swipe right to left across the email to get the delete button. Or you can tap the Edit button at the top of the email list, select all the emails you want deleted, and delete them.

No matter what you do, you'll probably open the first email you tap. So either select the first viewed email with care, or use the Edit option right off the bat.

As it is though, it's probably futile. Once you are on a spam list it's rare for a your email to be removed. After all, if it is not bouncing back to the spammer with an undeliverable error he is going to assume it's a valid address. The only defense is to add him to junk mail or spam filters. On the iPad that means reporting the email to your service provider, so that it never gets as far as your inbox.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts