What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails disappearing...

trickyrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. This has happened a few times now. I'll be browsing through my emails and then suddenly all my emails disappear !. Definitely not deleted The curious thing is that when I retrieve emails from my pc they are all downloaded. It's as if the iPad is actively linked with my isp server copy and not being stored locally on the iPad.... Bit confused by this. Anyone else getting the same problem ?
Many thanks
Rik

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the legacy POP email protocol or the newer IMAP protocol. IMAP indeed provides you with a virtual 'window' from your iPad to the email server and emails deleted on the server will 'disappear' from the iPad too. If you use POP, then the emails are downloaded and stored locally. Changes made on the email server are then *not* replicated on the iPad.

Tim

OP
T

trickyrik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim.
Many thanks - Yep I'm using imap. I didn't realise imap did that... I'll switch to pop.
I very rarely use my other pc now (since getting the iPad), but Just worked out that every time my girlfriend fires up the other pc and opens outlook and syncs the emails I lose mails on the pad.
Mystery solved. Many thanks again
Best regards
Rik

Most reactions

Latest posts