What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

emailing images problem

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Must admit l’m still totally confused l have never seen that screen that J.A. posted.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So to send many images whilst using the inbuilt mail app, to be sure that they all arrive correctly, even though you are using gmail, it’s best to send them separately. How did l do Miss ?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the option only appears when the combined image size exceeds some number. What number I’m not sure, but a single image is often not enough; especially screen shots which are ‘usually’ smaller than photos.

Glad it worked.
I get that option with one screenshot only as well.
22A519A8-2101-4FD0-834E-49212C45381B.jpeg
CE22CC8E-CA20-47F3-8D4D-7D34D35B6DA1.jpeg

iPad or iPhone screenshot, that doesn’t matter.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Might be a difference in iOS versions, or because my 12.9 inch iPad screenshots are larger, but I seem to get it all the time as well (or all the times I’ve paid attention). I remember that it didn’t always work that way, that it sometimes took a large image or several small ones before the image size showed up.

The OP is still on iOS 9, and an iPad 4, so that is probably whey they didn’t see the Image size for a single screen shot.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So to send many images whilst using the inbuilt mail app, to be sure that they all arrive correctly, even though you are using gmail, it’s best to send them separately. How did l do Miss ?
I’ve repeatedly sent more than 1 image at a time with the built in Mail app without problems, no matter which account.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are several players involved in sending and receiving emails.

The sending email app.
The sender’s ISP
The sender’s email service
The receivers email service
The receiver’s ISP
The receiver’s app.

Any of these can cause issues. Since downsizeing the photo attachmens seems to have worked, it’s probably an attachment size limitation in one of the email services; though data speed in an ISP might have upredictable results as well.

Another possibility is incompatibilty with service types. iCloud email, for instance, will store large attachments on a server, instead of sending it in the email itself. This is transparent to both sides when it works, but if the receiving client doesn’t like the format, or the ISP is too slow to download the attachment on demand; things may not work as expected.

The Mail app itself can handle several large attachments; but can not guarantee the rest of the chain will also work as expected.

Most reactions

Latest posts