What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

emailing images problem

askingforanother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When emailing full size images, more often than not the image received is a thumbnail...however sometimes its full size ...
this makes no sense whatsoever.
when emailing images I click the add photo icon or going straight into photos select the image to be sent and do it that way...both ways produce thumbnails for the recipient.

This is very annoying indeed.. pls help!

iPad is 4th gen (A1458) version 10.3.3

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are any of these photos imported from a camera or other source as RAW format? Often RAW formats contain a thumbnail jpg file. If the receiving device/computer can not display the RAW file, the thumbnail is all that will be shown.

OP
A

askingforanother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the images are screenshots, when sent they are all embedded in an email from the 'mail' app at full size, mostly they are received as thumbnails (to a gmail account) but sometimes (without any noticeable reason) they are full size...
earlier I sent 3 images in the one email (all full size roughly 350kb each) and 2 were received as thumbnails and 1 was full size...it just makes no sense...!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not famiar with Gmail’s file size limitations, but that might be the cause. File size can be increased by image complexity as well as the resolution, so there is no guaranty that an image is the same file size just because it has the same resolution..

As an experiment, try sending the failed screenshots again, but before you send them look on the CC/BCC line of the email. On the right side of that line there should be the word ‘image’ and some numbers. Tap on this and you should get a choice to set the maximum image size. Try sending the image as Large instead of Actual Size and see if that works.

OP
A

askingforanother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The file size limit on gmail I think is around 25mb...the CC/BCC line in email is for sending messages to multiple recipients which has nothing to do with images as far as i can see.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Of the 3 sent in one email, and considering the one full size, did it have any actual size difference from the others? My thinking is to wonder if you are right on the border of some size limitation between thumbnail and full size.

Another thought to try is to send the same image several times in one email and then several times as one image per email and see if there is any difference, for which there should not be.

Yet another thought: against the update for ios11.0.2 ‘Another issue also addressed in today’s update is a problem that could cause some photos to be hidden, as well as a bug where attachments in S/MIME-encrypted emails won’t open.’ Perhaps your problem has been fixed in with other image fixes...

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don’t know if this will help you or not. I to use gmail and save my photos in Google Photos when l wish to send one or more l do it from there.
Clicking on the square with the arrow and selecting gmail them setting up my email.
Not sure if they are full size but for sure not thumbnails.

I am using an iPad Air 2 on 11 if that makes any difference?

OP
A

askingforanother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the images are screenshots from the ipad and are around 350kb, I have tried sending the same image, multiple images, sometimes it arrives as a thumbnail sometimes its full size..

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I so sorry, l have now done this both ways. By adding the photos first from my Google Photos Account and sending them.
Then by clicking on the circlip thing and adding them from my normal Google Account with.pdf’s also. I added text as well.
Everything worked fine for me.
Not really what you wanted to hear. Have you tried resetting your machine?
I no longer use the mail app just Google for Everything Photos, Photo Storage and sending all in one as it were. Google freak l guess. [emoji38]

OP
A

askingforanother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I so sorry, l have now done this both ways. By adding the photos first from my Google Photos Account and sending them.
Then by clicking on the circlip thing and adding them from my normal Google Account with.pdf’s also. I added text as well.
Everything worked fine for me.
Not really what you wanted to hear. Have you tried resetting your machine?
I no longer use the mail app just Google for Everything Photos, Photo Storage and sending all in one as it were. Google freak l guess. [emoji38]

Its actually my mothers ipad, she emails screenshots from the ipad's internal storage, she doesnt have googlephotos, asking her to change to that would be too traumatic! cant imagine shed be keen to reset the machine either..

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It probably would not have helped anyway just a thought.
When you say internal storage do you mean Icloud?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The file size limit on gmail I think is around 25mb...the CC/BCC line in email is for sending messages to multiple recipients which has nothing to do with images as far as i can see.
What twerppoet was referring to was the following:
In the built in Mail app, you’ll find “Images” in the Cc/Bcc line at the far right, after inserting a photo:
AA0EBBC2-7424-4664-B00B-0A96F5C74656.jpeg

When you tap it, you can select the size of the image which should be used for the email:
7B7D1D9A-B7A1-40B9-A233-12596350D710.jpeg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...Yet another thought: against the update for ios11.0.2 ‘Another issue also addressed in today’s update is a problem that could cause some photos to be hidden, as well as a bug where attachments in S/MIME-encrypted emails won’t open.’ Perhaps your problem has been fixed in with other image fixes...
The iPad 4 is not compatible with iOS 11.

OP
A

askingforanother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What twerppoet was referring to was the following:
In the built in Mail app, you’ll find “Images” in the Cc/Bcc line at the far right, after inserting a photo:
View attachment 79754
When you tap it, you can select the size of the image which should be used for the email:
View attachment 79755

This seems to be the solution!

strangely when sending only one image the option to select image size doesnt appear at all.. hence my puzzlement at the suggestion !
Thanks for the help guys.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This seems to be the solution!

strangely when sending only one image the option to select image size doesnt appear at all.. hence my puzzlement at the suggestion !
Thanks for the help guys.

I believe the option only appears when the combined image size exceeds some number. What number I’m not sure, but a single image is often not enough; especially screen shots which are ‘usually’ smaller than photos.

Glad it worked.

Most reactions

Latest posts