1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Email

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Martlet, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Martlet

Martlet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Is there any way to delete email off the server, but keep it on your iPad? It seems when I delete it from the server, it's deleted from the iPad, too.
  2. Rgsp

Rgsp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You obviously have to download the message to the iPad first. But then it should stay on your iPad in the inbox till you remove it. Even if you send it to trash you can go into email settings under advanced and tell it to empty trash "never". At least that is how it works with Comcast email.
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Are you using the POP or IMAP mail protocols? This could have an impact on how your iPad and mail server interact.

Have a look here for an explanation of the difference between the two.

IMAP vs. POP

Tim
    Scotland
  4. Martlet

Martlet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm using POP. I'm not sure where the trouble is. I just went to go look for a few emails I received last week and they were gone.

ETA: and I find the email program to be very laggy. If I receive more than ten messages or so, it freezes up.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Mail', 'Show' -> 200 <- this is the most messages that the iPad's Mail app can store when using POP. Any more than this will be 'lost' if you're using POP. Check to see if you've got 'Show' set to a smaller number now.

Tim
  6. Martlet

Martlet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks. That sucks, though. It means I need to access my laptop more often to save my messages. Are there any apps that would let you save an infinite number?
  7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    It's because you're using the older POP protocol - see if your email service provider also supports IMAP, then you'll have access to all your emails. Most service providers do but keep POP for legacy reasons. But the iPad's Mail app supports IMAP, so I'd switch to that.

Tim