Email - spam filtering or just losing mails?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Hermit50126, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Hermit50126

Hermit50126 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a new user just getting to grips with my iPad i am confused. Not too difficult but what is happening? I receive emails on my iPhone that are missing from my iPad . The accounts are the same and as far as I can see the settings are the same both devices are ios6 is there some hidden setting on the iPad not on the iPhone?
  2. Totallylagit

Totallylagit iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Are you deleting them from your iPhone? If you delete from one, they are deleted from the other. At least they are on mine both on iOS 5.1.1
  3. Hermit50126

Hermit50126 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi No I have mails on my iPhone but they do not appear on my iPad FYI I only delete the mails when I boot up MS Outlook on my laptop where all the mails are shown -strange or what
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,428 / 1
    If you're account uses POP3, then one device is likely set to delete emails when they are downloaded, and the other not. It sounds like your iPhone is set to delete from the server.

You can confirm this by going into the advanced setting in the iPhones and looking. I can't show you exactly where, because I don't have a POP account.

If it is on, then anything you view/download first on the iPhone will be deleted from the server, and not available for download on the iPad. If the iPad is set to leave the mail on the server (which is the default setting) what you do on it will not have any affect on the iPhone.

Setting it not to delete on either device will leave your email on the server (until it fills up) unless you go in with some other device/computer and delete it there.

Complicated?

Frankly, unless you know exactly what is going on, POP is a pain to use with mobile devices. Most people who have POP accounts leave their mobile devices set to not delete off the server, then do all their clean up on a desktop client.

I'd check with your email provider and see if they have IMAP or Exchange setup options. If they do, set everything to those servers and everything will stay in sync; because all changes are made and synced on/with the server, not on the devices.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hermit50126

Hermit50126 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks but as you say my settings on my apples are to not delete - my ms outlook does the deleting from the server - the confusing thing is that it is only some mails that are missing from the iPad it just as if there is a spam filter letting some mails through but not others
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,428 / 1
    Ok. I'm not sure what is happening then. Sorry.
  7. vulturesrow

vulturesrow iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New question......I changed my yahoo password, my ipad will not accept the change, worked fine on the iphone, I deleted cookies to get the phone to accept, did not work on the pad, what do I need to do?......
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,428 / 1
    Try deleting the account on the iPad then re-adding it (instead of just trying to change the password).