What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email SMTP Settings

StephenClark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, like many people I am having problems with sending emails from my ipad.

I entered the settings for the outgoing server "exactly" as they are on my laptop which can send fine, here they are from the ipad :

Server ON

Host Name mail.applejackhomecare.co.uk
User Name "email address goes here - checked and verified - the ipad can receive this fine"
Password ******
Use SSL OFF
Authentication Password >
Server Port 25

in the password section:
Password tick

the username and password are required by the outgoing server and they are correct as they are the ones used on the laptop. I deleted the account on the laptop and re-entered it just to make sure and it works fine.

the ipad gives the message:

The SMTP server "mail.applejackhomecare.co.uk" doesn't support password authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.

This is not correct, as when i turned off the password authentication in outlook on the laptop, i could not send messages.

Please help

Stephen Clark

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure that, on your laptop, you have SSL off? Normally a Port 25 SMTP server does not - as the message you receive suggested - have a password. That is reserved for SSL, which works on port 465 or 995. What port number does your laptop indicate?

Tim

OP
S

StephenClark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, no the laptop also defaults to port 25, there is an unchecked tickbox with "this server requires a secure connection (SSL)" so i don't think it does.
the server has three settings i can use:

Disabled
Enabled (local domains only)
Enabled (Authenticated) - currently set to this

I was informed that setting it to local domains only makes the server vulnerable to spammers.

steve

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - slightly puzzled then. Will you be using your iPad away from your home network? It's generally the case that most email service providers won't support mail 'relay' on port 25 and require a switch to SSL and port 465 in order to be able to authenticate the sending device.

What happens - on the iPad - if you turn off the password. I know you say you can't send from your laptop but I'm wondering what error message you get from the iPad.

Tim

OP
S

StephenClark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, if i set up a new outgoing server on the ipad
host name mail.applejackhomecare.co.uk
user name optional
password optional

it tells me "cannot connect using SSL. Do you want to try setting up the account with out SSL ?"

yes gives "verifying" then i see ticks by all of the options, but it still won't send.

steve

OP
S

StephenClark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, i've created a mailbox with username tim@ applejackhomecare.co.uk password is tim you can use this if it helps. it will be live until 1pm today. you would be able to set it up on a client email program to verify the settings and maybe then you will be able to get it to work on the ipad. I really hope that it is just one obvious thing that i'm missing and haven't comunicated to you.

steve

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, tried it and get the same response as you!! I'll investigate further.

Incoming mail OK, outgoing get that message.

So, the good news is, it's not just you!!

Tim

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to use whole email address as username for smtp, I have 3 mail accounts setup on my iPad working without issues.

Also you are getting this error on 3G or wifi?

As som providers block smtp, may be your provider redirects all smtp requests to their own smtp sever, just a guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A mixture of WiFi (coffee shop hotspot) and 3G. Tried the username change for SMTP.

It's a challenge!

Tim

OP
S

StephenClark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The username must be the full email address.
It's now looking like there must be something wrong with the server?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it works on your laptop! So it's difficult to see how that can be the case.

But you know it's going to be something so obvious in the end.......

Tim

funtoosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
A mixture of WiFi (coffee shop hotspot) and 3G. Tried the username change for SMTP.

It's a challenge!

Tim

Who is the op here? Or same person ?

Most reactions

Latest posts