What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email push folders with POP account

kayfersmum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to select which folders to push within a POP email account? My main account is a TalkTalk.net email account which uses POP3. In settings I can't see the option to select which folders to push to my iPad. I only get In, Sent, Draft and Trash. Thanks in advance!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't push POP account folders. Only IMAP or Exchange. Sorry.

Check your TalkTalk account options and see if they also have an IMAP server. Many providers have both. If they don't, complain (nicely). They really should upgrade. It's not like IMAP only came out last week.

OP
K

kayfersmum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You can't push POP account folders. Only IMAP or Exchange. Sorry.

Check your TalkTalk account options and see if they also have an IMAP server. Many providers have both. If they don't, complain (nicely). They really should upgrade. It's not like IMAP only came out last week.

Thank you. I found their IMAP server info and changed the email settings from POP to IMAP. Still doesn't give me the options or download the folders. I'm sure it's user error. Any ideas what i am doing wrong?! Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Make sure the folders are actually on the server, not the computer. If you are using a computer email program you can have both local and server folders. Only server folders are synced to all devices. The best way to check this is to access your email via the website browser, if you have one. If the folders are not on the website, you can't sync them to the iPad.

You should set up any mail programs on your computer with the same IMAP server, to keep things simple; if you haven't already done so. Otherwise it too may not see the server side folders. Once you've done this, make sure you know what folders are local and which are on the server, and use them accordingly.

In the computer's email options, you should also (when IMAP is set up) have the option of having your Trash, Sent, and other default folders on the computer or the server. Choose the server for maximum portabiltiy. You may also find these settings in the account settings for the iPad. You'll probably have to dig for them.

Once folders are on the server, they should sync automatically. You may note see them on the iPad if you have an inbox selected for viewing. Tap on the MailBox button at the top left of the email list. (it might say something else). Keep tapping on it until you see a list of inboxes and accounts. With the account selected you can move back and forth through your folder files the usual way.

There is a settings that tells each folder how many emails max to load. If you have more, scroll to the bottom of the email list for a Load More Messages option.

Ok, hopefully one of those things helped. If not, give me some details of what you see when try to do them, and maybe I can make another guess. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts