What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email password

Meowzart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to require a password to open the email app? I want to be able to let my students play games on it, but don,t really want them snooping in my email.
Thanks
Susan

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to require a password to open the email app? I want to be able to let my students play games on it, but don,t really want them snooping in my email.
Thanks
Susan

No - I'm afraid there is no way of requiring a password for access to the email on an iPad. I have not even seen a workaround suggested.

Tim

Reaction score
Locking the email app is only possible through jail breaking and than using an app such as LockdownPro, or Loktopus.

On un jailbroken iPad, the only option is to use a different mail app, which apps for a password on start, there is one, but it only works with gmail.
Or temporarily disable emails via Settings->Mail->Turn of email from your account and don't forget to set restrictions under Settings->General->Restrictions->Allow Changes:Accounts->Don't allow changes.

Not a neat solution, but the only one you have, if you don't want to fall back to webmail.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you disable an account, do all the previous messages that were visible in the Mail app 'disappear'? i.e. does disabling a mail account remove the messages from within Mail. For sure, you couldn't download new messages but I wonder if the existing messages that had previously been downloaded would still be visible? I guess I could try it and see but it's too sunny......

Tim

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
If you disable an account, do all the previous messages that were visible in the Mail app 'disappear'? i.e. does disabling a mail account remove the messages from within Mail. For sure, you couldn't download new messages but I wonder if the existing messages that had previously been downloaded would still be visible? I guess I could try it and see but it's too sunny......

Tim

Disabling a mail account removes the email account including all emails from the mail app. Of course the emails come back after enabling the email account again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Disabling a mail account removes the email account including all emails from the mail app. Of course the emails come back after enabling the email account again.

Thanks - I wasn't sure - it's good to know.

Tim

OP
M

Meowzart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THANKS so much for your input. I can do the disabling thing when I need to. Just a little more cumbersome. It's not that often they will use it so it'll be ok. I appreciate your help :)

Most reactions