What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email notification when iPad is asleep

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless your email provider has Push Notifications (and you said they do not), you can not get mail notification on your iPad as soon as they are sent. The best you can do is set Fetch to 15 minutes. This will have some impact on battery life, compared to the 30 minute option, but not a lot.

The iPad should perform the Fetch whether it is plugged in or not, asleep or not.

For a proper test, don't just wait for emails to come in. Use your computer to send test emails, so that you know when they are sent. Hold in mind that the response time will vary, since the iPad is checking on a schedule; every 15, 30, or hourly. At a maximum it should not be much over the time set; holding in mind that the email servers can sometimes have delays in delivering email.

Facetime does have Push Notifications, which is why it works immediately. Being a live call service it would be pretty useless otherwise.

If it is absolutely necessary that you get emails as soon as possible, you should consider changing your primary email provider to one that supports Push Notifications. As an interim measure (while you migrate your contacts to the new service) you can probably have BT automatically forward to your new provider. Noticing which emails are forwarded will also tell you where you need to go to make changes.

iCloud, Google, Yahoo, and Hot Mail all have Push Notifications. I'm not sure about others, especially the U.K. providers.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless your email provider has Push Notifications (and you said they do not), you can not get mail notification on your iPad as soon as they are sent. The best you can do is set Fetch to 15 minutes. This will have some impact on battery life, compared to the 30 minute option, but not a lot.

The iPad should perform the Fetch whether it is plugged in or not, asleep or not.

For a proper test, don't just wait for emails to come in. Use your computer to send test emails, so that you know when they are sent. Hold in mind that the response time will vary, since the iPad is checking on a schedule; every 15, 30, or hourly. At a maximum it should not be much over the time set; holding in mind that the email servers can sometimes have delays in delivering email.

Facetime does have Push Notifications, which is why it works immediately. Being a live call service it would be pretty useless otherwise.

If it is absolutely necessary that you get emails as soon as possible, you should consider changing your primary email provider to one that supports Push Notifications. As an interim measure (while you migrate your contacts to the new service) you can probably have BT automatically forward to your new provider. Noticing which emails are forwarded will also tell you where you need to go to make changes.

iCloud, Google, Yahoo, and Hot Mail all have Push Notifications. I'm not sure about others, especially the U.K. providers.

Thank you Twerppoet for your clear and detailed reply.

One last question for my own information. Does the iPad Air drop the connection with the internet when it is asleep (but not plugged in to charger) only to "wake up" every 15 mins/30 mins to "fetch" emails if that is how emails are configured - or does it remain connected at all times to the internet whilst asleep?

The fact that my emails do not arrive at all while the iPad Air is asleep even though I have it set to "Fetch" from BT Mail every 15 mins and only arrive when I wake the iPad makes me think I have a problem with the iPad itself.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you Twerppoet for your clear and detailed reply.

One last question for my own information. Does the iPad Air drop the connection with the internet when it is asleep (but not plugged in to charger) only to "wake up" every 15 mins/30 mins to "fetch" emails if that is how emails are configured - or does it remain connected at all times to the internet whilst asleep?

The fact that my emails do not arrive at all while the iPad Air is asleep even though I have it set to "Fetch" from BT Mail every 15 mins and only arrive when I wake the iPad makes me think I have a problem with the iPad itself.

It should not drop the internet connection when it is asleep, plugged in or not. If it did, then it would be almost useless for FaceTime or Messages. Even push notification require the iPad to have an internet connection to work. They aren't magic.

It will wait until it is plugged in and asleep before it does more intensive things like iCloud Backups.

Most of this has been covered, but I believe in redundancy so I'll recommend you do a couple of things and see what happens.

First, make sure the New Mail sound is turned on in Settings > Sounds, and your iPad's volume is turned up and not muted.

Second, go into Settings > Notifications > Mail, and turn on all the options for each account; making sure there is a sound selected. I'd choose the Banner Alert Style, as it is the least annoying when it pops up in the middle of something else.

Put your iPad to sleep and send some test emails from the computer. Wait and see if you get your notifications within the time set to Fetch. If you don't, make sure the emails did arrive on the computer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should not drop the internet connection when it is asleep, plugged in or not. If it did, then it would be almost useless for FaceTime or Messages. Even push notification require the iPad to have an internet connection to work. They aren't magic.

It will wait until it is plugged in and asleep before it does more intensive things like iCloud Backups.

Most of this has been covered, but I believe in redundancy I'll recommend you do a couple of things and see what happens.

First, make sure the New Mail sound is turned on in Settings > Sounds, and your iPad's volume is turned up and not muted.

Second, go into Settings > Notifications > Mail, and turn on all the options for each account; making sure there is a sound selected. I'd choose the Banner Alert Style, as it is the least annoying when it pops up in the middle of something else.

Put your iPad to sleep and send some test emails from the computer. Wait and see if you get your notifications within the time set to Fetch. If you don't, make sure the emails did arrive on the computer.

Good luck.

Many thanks once again...

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem.

Hold in mind I only said what the iPad 'should' do. If it's got problems all bets are off.

:)

Understood....We have it set to fetch 15 mins (as BT Mail has no Push) but up to now emails only arrive once we wake the iPad. I will double check all settings and do suggesting testing and if problem continues I will take iPad to Apple.

Now I have a better understanding of what it "should" do - I can move forward.

Again, many thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts