What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email notification when iPad is asleep

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once the iPad has gone to sleep (but not turned off) should I still be able to hear the notification sound to alert me when an email has been received?

Currently I do not hear the email notification sound when iPad is asleep so not sure if this how it is designed to work or if I need to change some setting somewhere (where please?) so I can hear incoming email when the iPad is asleep.

Thank you in advance,

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to iPF!

Yes you should get a notification and there are 2 possible cases here :

1. Your iPad is muted.

From Settings > General, if your side switch preference is set to mute, you can slide the switch to mute and unmute it.

If it is set to lock rotation, mute can be accessed from the control center, which can be opened by performing an upward swipe from the down.
If the last button is white, it means your iPad is muted. Tap on it to unmute the iPad.

image.jpg

If control centre doesn't open up while your working on any app, you can change settings from Settings> Control center.

2. Mail notifications is disabled.

From Settings > Notification Center > Mail, enable settings according to requirements.

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - iPad is not muted as I do get notifications sounds etc when working on iPad.

I may not have selected "ON" for the option "Show on Lock Screen" as the wording does not make it clear what the option does, so did not select it.

I will try it and see what happens.

Many thanks,

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi - iPad is not muted as I do get notifications sounds etc when working on iPad.

I may not have selected "ON" for the option "Show on Lock Screen" as the wording does not make it clear what the option does, so did not select it.

I will try it and see what happens.

Many thanks,

Show on lock screen option will not help you to recover email notifications. I included it in my previous post so that you could open the control center even when you are not on the home screen.

What you need to try is the second option.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...so it is the "Show in Notification Centre" option I need to enable. I will give it a go.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the changes you suggested and let the iPad go to sleep. I sent a test email and still there was no email notification "ding".

However as soon as I entered the iPad's passcode number - I got the email notification ding - so now I am asking - is the email notification "ding" disabled when an Ipad with a passcode set goes to sleep and will only "ding" after it has been opened with the required code?

Hey ho....

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No thats not the normal behavior, but you might want to consider switching on 'Show in lock screen' option from mail notifications.

P.S. I apologize having caused confusions to you before, needless to say I myself was also confused about which 'Show on lock screen' option you were talking about in the previous post. I thought it was related to control center.

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will try that option and let you know....

Victoria022

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once the iPad has gone to sleep (but not turned off) should I still be able to hear the notification sound to alert me when an email has been received?

Currently I do not hear the email notification sound when iPad is asleep so not sure if this how it is designed to work or if I need to change some setting somewhere (where please?) so I can hear incoming email when the iPad is asleep.

Thank you in advance,

Welcome to the forum. I think your question has already been answered, so my role now is to just welcome you. :)

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Victoria,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the welcome. My question in fact is not yet answered as I have yet to try the new setting (activate "show on lock screen") - as the iPad is at home and I am at work. If you are in the US you must be up and about very early!

Victoria022

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Victoria,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the welcome. My question in fact is not yet answered as I have yet to try the new setting (activate "show on lock screen") - as the iPad is at home and I am at work. If you are in the US you must be up and about very early!

I am not in the US right now, lol. I am currently enjoying my holiday but since I feel like reading a bit, I decided to logged on and welcome some of the new users here. I hope the issue you are currently having will get sorted out real soon. Take care.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I made the changes you suggested and let the iPad go to sleep. I sent a test email and still there was no email notification "ding".

However as soon as I entered the iPad's passcode number - I got the email notification ding - so now I am asking - is the email notification "ding" disabled when an Ipad with a passcode set goes to sleep and will only "ding" after it has been opened with the required code?

Hey ho....

Is your email set for push? If not, your iPad will only check for emails depending on your Mail settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
griFFo55

griFFo55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that the problem is the iPad does not receive the emails until the iPad is taken out of sleep and the passcode is entered. As soon as I enter the passcode, my emails come into the iPad and I get the notifications etc.

What do I have to do to ensure my emails are received into the iPad when the iPad is asleep/locked?

Simple instructions please....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Do Not Disturb - Silence: did you select "Only when iPad is locked"?

Most reactions