What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email notifactions

Jon.Stillman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that I can't personalise our email accounts on iPad 2 for email notifications? My wife and I share the pad and never know who's email is alerting!! Incredibly annoying! I can't believe this can not be achieved, or apple do not think it is something users would like? Or maybe it's there way to make you buy an iPad per family member!!!! Have checked the web to no avail! Using yahoo mail.

Thanks

Jon

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, here's an idea. Get the app Boxcar from the App Store (it's free or you can pay (in app) $4.99 (USD) to get rid of the ads...).

Boxcar is a notification system that you can personalize. You can set it up to push you all your e-mail notifications from any/all accounts on the iPad.

So, if you follow Boxcar's directions to load each e-mail address separately, there is a point in the process where you can select different sounds for each different e-mail address.

Then, you can set "Fetch New Data" for the Mail app (in Settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendars) so that Push is off and then fetch is manual.

Yeah, you'll still have to use the same Mail app - but at least the sounds can be different so y'all know who got mail.

Again, Boxcar, with ads, is free. May be worth a shot to try? Note that I've not tried this, it justs seems as if it can be done, given what I know about Boxcar (which I have and use daily).

Good luck and let me know if this works (or if you have questions).

Marilyn

OP
J

Jon.Stillman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned that I have already tried boxcar but unfortunately it doesn't work properly with yahoo mail! You cant authorise the email that they send to you! I set it up, forwarded my yahoo to boxcar and it worked, but then you have to authorise a mail that yahoo sends to your boxcar account and that is where you can go no further! It works with gmail, exchange etc and you can fwd yahoo to gmail and then gmail to boxcar but way to clunky for my liking!

Thanks for the reply :))

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought that maybe you could use different Mail apps, with one of you using something like Better Webmail, but I can't find one that supports push for Yahoo, so back to Boxcar or another service like PushMail.

But if you can find the necessary second app, it's an idea.

OP
J

Jon.Stillman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not looking good and I can't change my email as it's associated with everything I do!

Most reactions