What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email management

ForresterJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently picked up an Ipad2 and I love it. I run a small online travel business and I am hoping to use my Ipad to run my business while on the go. I currently use Godaddy for my domains and web based email.

I decided to try apples mobile me service which I have been resisting due to the price tag but with the ipad I have completed the apple trifecta, Macbook, ipad,iphone.

I have to admit I love it, it's really cool how when I check my email or make changes to calendar or contact the changes instantly takes place on all of my systems.

My one gripe is that none of this really helps me for work because my work email is web based. I considered simply forwarding all email to my @me.com which would work fine as far as reading and managing my email. However if I use this method then whenever I send mail it will also be from my me.com account. Is it possible to set up an outgoing mail server but not an incoming? That way I could forward all my email accounts to my @me.com and keep them synced between my systems and still send emails from my business address. If clients see me emailing them from my @me.com account they will begin to think that that is the best way of getting ahold of me and use that address instead of the one I want them using. Also I need to have my work signature attached to all of my work related emails.

I have been looking into free options to mobile me as well, so far all i can see is gmail.... which I already have.

If there is anyone else who uses the ipad for both personal and work email and are as meticulous as I am about keeping their email organized please give me some suggestions.

also open to alternative solutions!

Thanks guys : )

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try setting up your godaddy email account to be read from your iPad (without forwarding to mobile me). On my iPad, I get all my gmail, yahoo and Microsoft exchange email. Then when you reply to an email, you get to choose whatever "from" address you want from the list of accounts set up on the iPad. You can also choose your "from" address when you write a fresh email.

OP
F

ForresterJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats how I currently have it set up, unfortunately with this method I cannot keep my email account meticulously synced with my other platforms (iphone,macbook) So le'ts say I am at home working for a couple days on my Macbook and I don't touch my Ipad for a couple days. When I go to pick up my ipad I will have unread emails numbering in the thousands.

I want to have my work email organized like my Mobile me mail so it is constantly synced and organized. That way while im on the road and I pick up my ipad my email is in the exact same state I left in in when I left home. Or if I've been on the road for awhile and I come home I'm not coming home to a slaughter house of an inbox.

Creative solutions?

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is really strange! I have the same email accounts (gmail and Outlook) across all my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook devices, and once I read an email on one device, it automatically syncs to tell the other devices that it's read. Perhaps you need to look at your godaddy email server settings to make sure it's doing a sync, and not just doing a POP mail account. It "should" work like your mobile me account without much difficulty, so if it's not, perhaps you can get godaddy tech support to point you to the right settings.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
If they have an imap server, use that on all your machines, that's how I have it setup on the iPhone, pc, mac, iPad etc, so when read on one device, the next time I look at that account on another device it auto updates that it has been read/deleted/moved etc

With pop, it will download the email to that device and remove it from the server

OP
F

ForresterJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful and prompt tips! I'll try setting up the godaddy account on imap and let you guys know if I get it all running smoothly.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
ForresterJ said:
Thanks for the helpful and prompt tips! I'll try setting up the godaddy account on imap and let you guys know if I get it all running smoothly.

Good luck, I changed to imap years ago, and haven't looked back since :)

Most reactions