What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email locked in landscape mode?

Jab004

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried double tapping the start button to unlock the orientation, which I didn't lock, but it is still stuck in this mode. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sandran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email stuck in Landscape

Mine just started this today too! Interesting that you said you double tapped the start button, when I do that my bottom four icons from the homescreen show up at the bottom on the screen which is nice, but the the email is still stuck in landscape. All other apps are fine.

OP
J

Jab004

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I apologize, I should have posted that after my initial post. I'm glad you figured it out!

JohnHighway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have to reboot the device, just kill the app and when you reactive the app, it will respond to your iPad's current orientation.

Lauren35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either update your rotation on/of setting in the setting control feature or reboot as a last resort

JohnHighway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either update your rotation on/of setting in the setting control feature or reboot as a last resort

This is when both orientation button/settings doesn't resolve the situation. Orientation settings is not locked by the mail will still not respond to current orientation of the iPad. I found that if you kill the Mail app and restart the app, the mail app will automatically adjust to your iPad current orientation.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
99 times out of 100 (and I've encountered it at least that many times on this forum!), folks don't understand exactly how the orientation features of thier iPad work, and they have actually inadvertently locked the orientation.

This excellent artical from Apple explains the settings you need to know about, especially if you have changed the purpose of the "side switch" on your device, which can have the effect of locking you in one particular orientation by mistake!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

I would recommend all new iPad owners read it, especially the bottom piece which explains how to unlock the orientation if you are using your side switch for "mute" :D

Last edited:

JohnHighway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
support.apple.com/kb/HT4085 said:
Troubleshooting Rotation Lock

If your iPad display does not rotate as expected, verify that Rotation Lock is off:

1. Check the status bar for the Rotation Lock icon.

2. Toggle the Side Switch to verify that the device is not locked.
Note: Some apps do not rotate to match the current or locked orientation. Use the Home screen to determine Rotation Lock status.

3. If Rotation Lock is off and you are still unable to rotate the iPad display, restart your iPad:
Hold the Sleep/Wake button until "slide to power off" appears, and then slide to turn off your device. When it is off, press the Sleep/Wake button to turn it back on.

For #3 from the support docs on Apple.com, you don't need to restart your iPad -- you need only restart the Mail app. Exit from the Mail app by click on the home button to take you back to the main screen of your iPad. Double click the home-button to display the status bar and press on the Mail app and hold it down until you get it to shake. You'll see a [x] and press it to kill the app. Once you've killed the Mail app, you can click on the Mail app to restart it.

Don't go through the long process of restarting your iPad device.

Most reactions

Latest posts