What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Folders

janetvanpelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
changing yahoo mail from pop to imap

Help! When I set up my yahoo mail on my ipad, it defaulted to the server for a pop account, but I have everything in subfolders and now can't access any of them. I think from reading the forum I need to switch it to an imap account but I can't figure out how to do this. I deleted the account and tried to reinstall, but it autofinds the server and doesn't give me an option to type in the imap server info instead.

Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just use the default Yahoo setup. It shows my folders. I've speculated that it is using an IMAP server for the iPad, but it is just speculation. Nothing I could find in the settings showed what type of server it is using. Only the send mail (SMTP) server is shown. Whatever it does I get access to any folders I've set up in the Yahoo Mail website.

Other than trying to set your Yahoo Mail up as an Other account, there is no way to control this, and the last time I tried to do that it told me I needed a Plus account. And even the Plus account seems to be limited to POP servers.

In short, if the default account isn't working, there is not a lot you can do.

janetvanpelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

After 45 useless minutes chatting with Yahoo support that's my conclusion as well, but it's really weird that you would get folder and I wouldn't using the same setup wizard. I am planning to swing by the Apple store today and see if one of the resident genuises has any ideas--will post if I find out anything interesting.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Works just like adding them. If your account is IMAP or Exchange, add or delete folders on the server via the web site. They will change on the iPad. If it is a POP account, you're out of luck.

GMail is either IMAP or Exchange, depending on how you set it up.
Yahoo acts like IMAP for some people and POP for others, and we have no idea why.
Hotmail can be set up as Exchange. I'm not sure about IMAP.
MobileMe is IMAP.

If you don't have one of those you'll have to look through your ISP's help pages. Or just try creating/removing the folders on the server and see what happens.

iOS 5 is supposed to add the ability to manage folders in the Mail app. Whether this will work with non-Apple email accounts has not been clarified. At least I haven't seen anything about it yet. We may not know until it is out in Fall.

brucem.smith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow,
The info on the mail folders has given me some hope. I will get back to my PC and try to set them up.
Bruce

Reaction score
Hi was just wondering if anyone knows a browser that i can use or an app to download to watch any movies, shows online. Live or old. Something that converts them to html?

mr4523mr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having terrible problems using Yahoo folders on the iPad 2 (ios 5). The folders all show up and 99% of the time, I can move e-mails from one folder to the next. 1% of the time, however, they will appear (on the iPad) to move to the folder, but those e-mails either do not appear in the folder on my PC, or the e-mail header (with the From and Date info) will appear on the PC in the folder, but when I click it, I get "Error #4" and a message saying, "Your message doesn't seem to be here. Maybe you moved it or deleted it?" It's very frustrating! Has anyone else had this problem?

Most reactions