What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Folders

ipadfreak69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jack! I think it depends on the e-mail platform you are using. I know for me with Yahoo mail I had to log into my yahoo account and create the folders from there but I did this on the desktop, and when I logged into my iPhone mail account the subfolders were there. My same folders are on the iPad too once you set up your account for your mail. Hope this makes some kind of sense for you.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

jack1953.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jack! I think it depends on the e-mail platform you are using. I know for me with Yahoo mail I had to log into my yahoo account and create the folders from there but I did this on the desktop, and when I logged into my iPhone mail account the subfolders were there. My same folders are on the iPad too once you set up your account for your mail. Hope this makes some kind of sense for you.

Can emails be saved to another location? How?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
IMAP and Exchange accounts can sync folders to the server. This is what ipadfreak is describing. When you set up all you email readers this way then every email reader can read / save to / and copy from those shared folders.

Essentially, as long as you have an internet connection (which you need to send and receive email anyway) those folders are accessible everywhere.

Most, but not quite all, mail services offer IMAP account setups. Many businesses use Exchange. In some cases, like Google, you can choose either of these account types.

The actual folders have to be set up from your computer or web site email. The iPad will automatically detect and show you those folders.

ipadfreak69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
IMAP and Exchange accounts can sync folders to the server. This is what ipadfreak is describing. When you set up all you email readers this way then every email reader can read / save to / and copy from those shared folders.

Essentially, as long as you have an internet connection (which you need to send and receive email anyway) those folders are accessible everywhere.

Most, but not quite all, mail services offer IMAP account setups. Many businesses use Exchange. In some cases, like Google, you can choose either of these account types.

The actual folders have to be set up from your computer or web site email. The iPad will automatically detect and show you those folders.

Thank you Twerppoet! :)

OP
J

jack1953.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I am able to understand, I am guessing that my problem is that I have pop email account?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From what I am able to understand, I am guessing that my problem is that I have pop email account?

It might be. What type of email account to you have?

Some services offer both, so you may be able to go to IMAP and keep your current address. If not, there are almost always ways to do specific tasks. It's just a matter of addressing what you need to accomplish rather than focusing on how you think it has to be done. (did that make sense?)

And some people do prefer the POP account. It's not all bad, just less flexible.

OP
J

jack1953.

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It might be. What type of email account to you have?

Some services offer both, so you may be able to go to IMAP and keep your current address. If not, there are almost always ways to do specific tasks. It's just a matter of addressing what you need to accomplish rather than focusing on how you think it has to be done. (did that make sense?)

And some people do prefer the POP account. It's not all bad, just less flexible.

Its embarqmail.com which is now centurylink.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I looked over their site, and looks like they only offer a POP3 server. That is disappointing.

If you don't have to use the embarqmail account as your main email, I recommend getting a Google account and switching to GMail. You can forward your embarqmail to Google so you only deal with the one account, or leave it on the iPad as a backup. Either way you still get your old mail while getting all your contacts to switch over.

If you need to keep your embarqmail account as your main email, let me know exactly what you need to do and maybe I can think of a way to do it.

I have three email addresses myself. Once you get used to it, it is't that hard to shuffle emails from one to the other if needed. So even if you can't completely switch to GMail it can still be used to store important emails in a place that can be gotten too from anywhere, though it make take an extra step or two.

There are other solutions. For instance an Evernote account comes with an email address that you can send/forward emails to. The contents of the email get saved as a note, and Evernote has plenty of folder organization and searching options. It also has an app for just about every device and OS, and a web page client. You can get to your notes from anywhere you have internet access (or off line if you mark them as favorites.) The negative is that the stored notes are no longer emails that you can forward or retrieve the addresses from.

ipadfreak69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I looked over their site, and looks like they only offer a POP3 server. That is disappointing.

If you don't have to use the embarqmail account as your main email, I recommend getting a Google account and switching to GMail. You can forward your embarqmail to Google so you only deal with the one account, or leave it on the iPad as a backup. Either way you still get your old mail while getting all your contacts to switch over.

If you need to keep your embarqmail account as your main email, let me know exactly what you need to do and maybe I can think of a way to do it.

I have three email addresses myself. Once you get used to it, it is't that hard to shuffle emails from one to the other if needed. So even if you can't completely switch to GMail it can still be used to store important emails in a place that can be gotten too from anywhere, though it make take an extra step or two.

There are other solutions. For instance an Evernote account comes with an email address that you can send/forward emails to. The contents of the email get saved as a note, and Evernote has plenty of folder organization and searching options. It also has an app for just about every device and OS, and a web page client. You can get to your notes from anywhere you have internet access (or off line if you mark them as favorites.) The negative is that the stored notes are no longer emails that you can forward or retrieve the addresses from.

I really think you are "borderline" genius! Wow. 

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I won't go into the nightmare that was my email accounts for the past 3 weeks but let's say that I now have one email account I am using and it comes to my desktop via Outlook. I am bringing that same mail into my iPad. However it doesn't sync at all. I just have to go through all of them again which I can choose to do or not do. however I really miss having the folders that I have set up on Outlook (and Gmail for that matter). is there anyway to get those folders on the iPad? the server for my receiving emails is a private server. And I don,t want to forward the emails through gmail ( I won't go into why right now, too complicated).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless your private server has an IMAP or Exchange server option, you are not going to be able to sync folders. It is possible to tell a POP3 server to delete mail when it is downloaded, but that could turn into a real problem too, since you'll only have a copy of that email on whatever device/computer downloaded it.

For important stuff you want to save, you could try the Evernote suggestion I made. It comes with an email address that you can forward too. The plus is that you can get to your saved information from almost any computer or device, and there are lots of organizing and search options. The minus is that those notes will not longer be emails, and you won't be able to search, forward, or other wise treat them as such in the Mail app. Though the header of the original email is copied to Evernote, so you won't loose the originating email address, and you can always copy&paste back to Mail for the content.

Not sure how it will handle all attachments, but the PDF I sent this way was saved inline after the email. Anyway, Evernote has a free basic account you can try out.

Short of configuring your private server for IMAP, that's all I can come up with at the moment.

Most reactions

Latest posts