What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email deleted automatically

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using an IMAP e-mail account on the iPad? As in, did you delete the e-mail from the web? Cause IMAP accounts make the iPad like a "mirror" - it only reflects what the server has. So, if you've deleted from the server - it's gone from the iPad.

If that's not the answer - can you give more specifics? As in, what exactly is happening (e-mails disappear when you open Mail, when you close, what type of e-mail account you have).

Marilyn

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you set up the iPad as an IMAP account, and have another computer set up to access that mail with POP which deletes it after pulling it off the server, mail will look like it's mysteriously being deleted.

Set both up as IMAP or change your POP settings to leave the mail on the server after reading... However you will HAVE TO manually delete the mail if you use the POP plus IMAP option.

-t

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even with both computer and iPad set up as IMAP, you can get mysterious disappearances. In my case I leave my computer email on most of the time, and it has it's own junk mail filter.

So I commonly get a push notification on the iPad for an email that the computer shortly thereafter moves to junkmail, so that it disappears from the iPad.

Any rule for folders or such can do this.

The other possibility is in your account settings. Depending on your account type (Exchange seems to do this) you may have a Mail Days to Sync option, which could remove older emails. It is set to 3 Days by default.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My emails also just disappear. Right now the oldest email I have is 28th august and tomorrow it will be the 29 or 30 depending on how many emails I receive. I have a pop account. I've just looked in the mail settings. There is a tab that says 'ask before deleting' which is set at off. Could turning this on solve the problem. It doesn't really worry me as I keep my emails on my MacBook pro. I've only noticed them disappearing after getting the MacBook.

OP
T

thaifly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disappearing email

My email account is a POP account. Although I do access email from a lap top as well the mail disappears at times when I have been away from my lap top and only using the iPad.

Dean

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The laptop is likely fetching email from the server on a set frequency and when it does it deletes the mail from the server that it just fetched

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My emails also just disappear. Right now the oldest email I have is 28th august and tomorrow it will be the 29 or 30 depending on how many emails I receive. I have a pop account. I've just looked in the mail settings. There is a tab that says 'ask before deleting' which is set at off. Could turning this on solve the problem. It doesn't really worry me as I keep my emails on my MacBook pro. I've only noticed them disappearing after getting the MacBook.

Don't forget too that you can set your iPad to only display the last 'x' emails, which can be changed in Settings. So, if the number displayed has reached that limit, the next one to arrive will appear to delete the oldest email.

Tim

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Don't forget too that you can set your iPad to only display the last 'x' emails, which can be changed in Settings. So, if the number displayed has reached that limit, the next one to arrive will appear to delete the oldest email.

Tim

Yes I've seen this button, I have mine set at 200 the highest. So if that's normal, then I don't have a problem. I'd rather save them on the MacBook where I have folders.
Thanks for the explanation, it's good to know.

FirstMacWasIIci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Are you using an IMAP e-mail account on the iPad?
As in, did you delete the e-mail from the web?
Cause IMAP accounts make the iPad like a "mirror" - it only reflects what the server has.
So, if you've deleted from the server - it's gone from the iPad.

If that's not the answer - can you give more specifics?
As in, what exactly is happening
(e-mails disappear when you open Mail, when you close, what type of e-mail account you have).

Marilyn

"As in, what exactly is happening....."
Oftentimes, I send myself hyperlinks of web pages, so that when I get home, I can
go to them, open WORD, and make notes from them.

Usually, when I check my Inbox on the iPad, it is empty.
Sometimes, like today, when maybe I checked soon enough after I sent them, that 2 of 3 were still there(??),
(initially, anyway--) when I open the Inbox, I see one, maybeeee two, e-mails that disappear almost immediately.
All of the ones I have sent from my iPad appear to stiil be there in the Outbox (set at 200-)

Soooooooo, not sure I understand, but trying......

if my DOT mac e-mail via Entourage on my PowerPC G5 at home
pulls all of my e-mails down from the server
(How will I know that, please??),
then, AS SOON AS the server has "pushed(?)" an incoming e-mail down to my G5's Entourage application,
(Whether or not my G5 is on with Entourage open, please??)
it will disappear from my iPad Inbox,
even though I do not think I have synced my iPad with my G5 in ANY way, shape, or form.
(How will I also know that, please??)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

diver110

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even with both computer and iPad set up as IMAP, you can get mysterious disappearances. In my case I leave my computer email on most of the time, and it has it's own junk mail filter.

So I commonly get a push notification on the iPad for an email that the computer shortly thereafter moves to junkmail, so that it disappears from the iPad.

Any rule for folders or such can do this.

The other possibility is in your account settings. Depending on your account type (Exchange seems to do this) you may have a Mail Days to Sync option, which could remove older emails. It is set to 3 Days by default.

I had the same problem. It seems to be this latter issue. I set mine to 1 month and all of missing emails reappeared.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
"As in, what exactly is happening....."
Oftentimes, I send myself hyperlinks of web pages, so that when I get home, I can
go to them, open WORD, and make notes from them.

Usually, when I check my Inbox on the iPad, it is empty.
Sometimes, like today, when maybe I checked soon enough after I sent them, that 2 of 3 were still there(??),
(initially, anyway--) when I open the Inbox, I see one, maybeeee two, e-mails that disappear almost immediately.
All of the ones I have sent from my iPad appear to stiil be there in the Outbox (set at 200-)

Soooooooo, not sure I understand, but trying......

if my DOT mac e-mail via Entourage on my PowerPC G5 at home
pulls all of my e-mails down from the server
(How will I know that, please??),
then, AS SOON AS the server has "pushed(?)" an incoming e-mail down to my G5's Entourage application,
(Whether or not my G5 is on with Entourage open, please??)
it will disappear from my iPad Inbox,
even though I do not think I have synced my iPad with my G5 in ANY way, shape, or form.
(How will I also know that, please??)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

This is really getting complicated, so it's hard to figure out what exactly is happening.

My recommendation is to go through the settings in Entourage on your G5 and make sure you are leaving the email on the server (no automatic download/remove). Also make sure you don't have any rules set that will move mail to other folders. I've never used Entourage, so I can't be of any help here. The account type needs to be IMAP, or Exchange.

If you have ever fiddled with rules at icloud.com, also check there for any rules.

If your email is not leaving the iPad (stuck in the OutBox) then you are either sending it when you don't' have an internet connection, or there is something wrong with your SMTP settings.

In the first case, just open Mail again when you do have a connection. It should start sending the emails.

In the second case, try deleting and the re-adding your iCloud account. When it asks you about deleting calendars, contacts, etc. say yes. It will sync them back as soon as you add the account again. Otherwise you risk duplicates.

It's a pretty good idea to visit icloud.com first, and make sure your contacts and calendars are all there.

You have migrated to iCloud, yes? If not, do so. Even if you can not use the extra syncing abilities with your G5, you need to get the email account off of MobileMe before the end of the month.

Most reactions

Latest posts