What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email attachment

Faizul72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From email, how can I import any doc as attachment. I don't see any attachment option. Quiet new with iPad. Thank a lot for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since the iPad does not have a general file system, emailing with an attachment works a bit differently.

Instead of opening Mail, open the app that has the file you want to attach. The Photo's app, for instance. When you are looking at a list of files, photos, whatever, you will usually see a share icon somewhere on the screen. This with either be an arrow curved up and to the right, or the same arrow coming out of a box.

You'll either select a file, and then this arrow to get an email options. Or sometimes you select the arrow and get the option to select multiple files and then select email, or some other option.

In the Photos app you'll see your grid of pictures. When you select the icon there will be three grayed out buttons to the left. Tap to select up to 5 photos, and then select the email button.

The other option is first tap on the photo and view it. When you tap on the share icon you'll get several options, including email.

Every app does it ever so slightly different, but as long as you keep an eye out for the share icon you will usually find a way to email the file. Though there are exceptions. GoodReader's email option, for instance, is found under the Manage Files section of the app.

When you choose email, the app will generate an email with the file in the body. You just fill out the to field and subject and send it on it's way.

Mail clients that are capable of receiving this type of email will display the email this way. Those that can not will still have the attachments available the normal way.

Last edited:
OP
F

Faizul72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks iPad master. It help a lot. In general, it works the other way around:we push/export the file instead of pull/import. Am I right here?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good way to look at it. Don't worry, like most gadgets the more you use it the more it begins to make sense.

I bet it felt good being called an ipad master..lol. I finally attained the staus also a lil while back. Twerppoet definitely knows his stuff ;-)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bet it felt good being called an ipad master..lol. I finally attained the staus also a lil while back. Twerppoet definitely knows his stuff ;-)

It was kind of intimidating , until I realized why I was getting the title. I thought about explaining that I'd just been posting a lot, but figured he would understand that soon enough.

And I'm sure a lot of people know as much, and even more than I do. I just happen to have a lot of free time on my hands lately, so I have the time to look things up before I start typing. Too bad I don't always do that. It would save me from embarrassing myself every now and then.

OP
F

Faizul72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, nice to hear from you again, and the rest too.

You're truly an iPad master, no worry. ,,,,, one thing I'm really sure that you explained the solution to my question pretty straightforward, easy to understand.

Anybody familiar with WebDAV? Using Pages, I try to import a file from HP's iprint saved files. Everything is set "ok" for file sharing, and I was made to understand to import the file through network driver URL which provided in HP's iprint. But my attempt failed, with "error" remark. I tried to get HP technical assistance but they are unable to help, proposing me to get assistance from Apple instead. Anybody faced this, I mean unable to link to URL from iPad apps. Any solution? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've some familiarity with webDAV and Pages. I use an online service called DropDav to move files between DropBox and Pages on the iPad. However I have no experience with HP iPrint. I thought it was just for printing on HP wireless printers.

If you need to download something from a URL, then GoodReader is the best app I know of. It has a built in browser that you can either navigate to the page and link you want, or enter the download URL directly.

There are four ways to get document files into Pages on the iPad. Pages can only import it's own .pages format and Microsofts .doc files.

You can use the File Share feature of iTunes to move the files by USB cable.
You can email the file to your iPad, and use Open In to move the attachment to Pages.
You can use the DropBox and DropDAV solution I mentioned.
You can use iDisk, part of Apple's MobileMe service.

If you were trying to get a picture into a Pages document, you use the Media icon in Pages to import pictures that are stored in the Photos app.

If none of that helped, I'll need more information before I can take another guess.

OP
F

Faizul72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet,

Kids really enjoy iPad apps. Sometime they don't have clue what they are doing, even deleting app. I believe there must be a way to block that. I try to search in iPad help, but haven't found. Any idea?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Look under Settings >> General >> Restrictions, and you'll find several things you can do, including the ability to prevent deletion of apps.

You'll choose a 4 digit code to turn the restrictions on and off, so when you set it, don't forget it. The only way to turn it back off without the code is to restore the iPad.

OP
F

Faizul72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet,

Unfortunately, I forgot the passcode. I will try later. Thanks again.

OP
F

Faizul72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally I got the passcode after 9 trials.

If the icon is deleted from the screen, does it mean the deleted as well? Any chance to recover?

Most reactions

Latest posts