What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

email application, pls..?

kubaysi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all...
is there any email application works well with the ipad, beside the original email app?
as the original doesn't have the full email features, & i do need 2 apps in anyway, one for work & the other for personal.

thx a lot..

OP
K

kubaysi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guys.. 85 views & 0 reply!!
any suggestion pls???

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember that anyone can view but only members are allowed to post - so we often get this problem. Many of the third party email apps use the underlying functionality of the iPad Mail program through APIs (application programmer interfaces) in the iPad's operating system, iOS. They simply add more functionality at the user-interface level, but retain the foundation of iOS.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
A search for 'Mail' in the 'Productivity' section shows lots of mail apps, but without knowing what features you are missing from Mail, it is difficult to suggest alternatives, as these may just have the same restrictions.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - good point, as usual DontUnderstandMyIpad (we'll have to stop meeting like this or people will start to talk :)

Remember that the native iPad Mail app can support multiple email accounts - so there's no problem with it handling both your work email and then in an entirely separate account with separate inBox etc, your personal email.

Tim
Scotland

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might as well chime in here and say what I have said before: the iPad email app totally SUCKS.
rant.gif

You are limited to a maximum of the last 200 emails you received (figure includes ones you heve deleted); you can't collapse/expand your saved messages folder; and you can't format text or your sigline.

The keyboard stinks too. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to give us a keyboard where there are no arrow keys and you have to change screens to type numbers or symbols? Answer: someone too bone idle to design a proper keyboard, and just copied the POS you find on the iPhone. [/rant]

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might as well chime in here and say what I have said before: the iPad email app totally SUCKS.
rant.gif

You are limited to a maximum of the last 200 emails you received (figure includes ones you heve deleted); you can't collapse/expand your saved messages folder; and you can't format text or your sigline.

The keyboard stinks too. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to give us a keyboard where there are no arrow keys and you have to change screens to type numbers or symbols? Answer: someone too bone idle to design a proper keyboard, and just copied the POS you find on the iPhone. [/rant]

But you can search through and display any email that's on your email server - even if it's the 10000 email you have on the server - agreed, that's limited to email servers supporting IMAP, though and, of course, they're not available off-line....

If you really want to format text, I use an HTML editor app and then cut-and-paste the HTML formatted message from the editor into the iPad Mail app and it displays just fine - now I can have any formatting I want - fonts, colours, tables, anything - OK, again, I agree, it should have been supported in the native Mail app but, hey, it's a workaround...

Numbers and symbols - OK, well I nearly always use a Bluetooth keyboard, so I have all the numbers, symbols, cursor keys that I want.

But - generally I agree - the iPad's Mail app was not one of Apple's finest moments....

Tim
Scotland

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My saved emails are stored in many hundreds of folders. To scroll down the whole list would be completely impractical. Why can't we collapse/expand folders? Even in Windoze Outlook v2 you could do that.

Can you set up the iPad app to store a proper formatted sig so it appears automatically, or do you have to do it manually every time?

Reaction score
You can browse each folder separately, when you go to the main Mail page and select your email under accounts, instead of going to inbox.

The only way to set an automatic signature is via
Settings->Mail->Signature

Last edited:
OP
K

kubaysi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thx all for the answers...
actually, the missed features not only organizing the folders, it's only one problem!
many others, such as:
- rules not available, tried the one in cydia, but doesn't work & keep giving error!
- formatting the text, it's not the right solution to type in another app then copy / paste!
- some additional app (such as fonts + mail) may works when u create a new email, but how about when u want to REPLY an email?
- can't create storage folders, out of the accounts inboxes.
- while for the matter of supporting multiple accounts, u r right 100%.. but it's not enough if u have 9 accounts for work & 4 personal :D

well, when i asked for this app. coz i'm using the ipad mostly for work, as i'm not really into games & media.

thx a lot guys & i believe i can get some good suggestions here (",)

siris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, not meaning to hijack, but are there any options available for mail rules?

Due to slow broadband I'm using POP, not IMAP, so I have set up auto-BCC's on my PC, laptop and iPad, which is then "ruled" into my main work PC's sent folder.

Unfortunately on the iPad that means that if I send a mail I immediately also receive the auto-BCC in the inbox.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, not meaning to hijack, but are there any options available for mail rules?

Due to slow broadband I'm using POP, not IMAP, so I have set up auto-BCC's on my PC, laptop and iPad, which is then "ruled" into my main work PC's sent folder.

Unfortunately on the iPad that means that if I send a mail I immediately also receive the auto-BCC in the inbox.

OK - if I'm understanding you correctly - if I'm not just tell me!! - you want to auto BCC on your iPad so you get a copy of the email that you've just sent on your PC and laptop, but you don't want to receive that auto BCC on the iPad and want to establish a mail 'rule' that would reject that inbound email and not download it.

I don't know of any way of doing that on the iPad - it's got a fairly primitive email client with no way to establish rules that I'm aware of. However, you can set the email client not to download remote images - it's in the 'Settings' app under 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar' and that will minimise the problem somewhat.

Tim
Scotland

siris

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OK - if I'm understanding you correctly - if I'm not just tell me!! - you want to auto BCC on your iPad so you get a copy of the email that you've just sent on your PC and laptop, but you don't want to receive that auto BCC on the iPad and want to establish a mail 'rule' that would reject that inbound email and not download it.

I don't know of any way of doing that on the iPad - it's got a fairly primitive email client with no way to establish rules that I'm aware of. However, you can set the email client not to download remote images - it's in the 'Settings' app under 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar' and that will minimise the problem somewhat.

Tim
Scotland

Thanks, yes that is exactly it! It is not so much the size of emails as the volume involved - and the resulting clutter in my mailbox.

Ah well, hopefully the mail client gets an upgrade in iOS 5. I understand the bare bones approach, but a bit more functionality/options will go a long way to my ipad completely replacing my netbook as my primary business travel device.

Most reactions

Latest posts