email application, pls..?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by kubaysi, Apr 2, 2011.

1. kubaysi

kubaysi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    hi all...
    is there any email application works well with the ipad, beside the original email app?
    as the original doesn't have the full email features, & i do need 2 apps in anyway, one for work & the other for personal.

thx a lot..

2. kubaysi

kubaysi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    guys.. 85 views & 0 reply!!
    any suggestion pls???

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Remember that anyone can view but only members are allowed to post - so we often get this problem. Many of the third party email apps use the underlying functionality of the iPad Mail program through APIs (application programmer interfaces) in the iPad's operating system, iOS. They simply add more functionality at the user-interface level, but retain the foundation of iOS.

Tim
    Scotland

4. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    A search for 'Mail' in the 'Productivity' section shows lots of mail apps, but without knowing what features you are missing from Mail, it is difficult to suggest alternatives, as these may just have the same restrictions.

#4 DontUnderstandMyIpad, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Yes - good point, as usual DontUnderstandMyIpad (we'll have to stop meeting like this or people will start to talk :)

Remember that the native iPad Mail app can support multiple email accounts - so there's no problem with it handling both your work email and then in an entirely separate account with separate inBox etc, your personal email.

Tim
    Scotland

6. DM51

DM51
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I might as well chime in here and say what I have said before: the iPad email app totally SUCKS. [​IMG]
    You are limited to a maximum of the last 200 emails you received (figure includes ones you heve deleted); you can't collapse/expand your saved messages folder; and you can't format text or your sigline.

The keyboard stinks too. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to give us a keyboard where there are no arrow keys and you have to change screens to type numbers or symbols? Answer: someone too bone idle to design a proper keyboard, and just copied the POS you find on the iPhone. [/rant]

7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    But you can search through and display any email that's on your email server - even if it's the 10000 email you have on the server - agreed, that's limited to email servers supporting IMAP, though and, of course, they're not available off-line....

If you really want to format text, I use an HTML editor app and then cut-and-paste the HTML formatted message from the editor into the iPad Mail app and it displays just fine - now I can have any formatting I want - fonts, colours, tables, anything - OK, again, I agree, it should have been supported in the native Mail app but, hey, it's a workaround...

Numbers and symbols - OK, well I nearly always use a Bluetooth keyboard, so I have all the numbers, symbols, cursor keys that I want.

But - generally I agree - the iPad's Mail app was not one of Apple's finest moments....

Tim
    Scotland

8. DM51

DM51
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My saved emails are stored in many hundreds of folders. To scroll down the whole list would be completely impractical. Why can't we collapse/expand folders? Even in Windoze Outlook v2 you could do that.

Can you set up the iPad app to store a proper formatted sig so it appears automatically, or do you have to do it manually every time?

9. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    You can browse each folder separately, when you go to the main Mail page and select your email under accounts, instead of going to inbox.

The only way to set an automatic signature is via
    Settings->Mail->Signature

#9 DontUnderstandMyIpad, Apr 3, 2011
  10. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Here is what I mean. You can have all your folders on the left and just jump into the one you want to access:

Attached Files:

#10 DontUnderstandMyIpad, Apr 3, 2011