What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email app won't open

JackPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my email app won't open. It still shows new emails have arrived but when I try to open it it just gives a screen with no emails or inboxes then closes. I have already tried :
  1. Deleting emails via safari in case there was no room
  2. Deleting my email account and reinputting it
  3. Resetting using the home and power buttons (a million times)
  4. Trying to close the email app by double tapping home then swiping the email picture that appears off the top of the screen
and combinations of all of the above in all different orders....help please, anyone ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you try deleting the email account, then reseting, then checking the Mail app before adding back the account?

I want to eliminate, beyond a doubt, that it's the account itself causing the issue.

If that still does not work you're probably looking at restoring the iPad; first using a backup, and if that does not work then a clean restore without a backup.

OP
J

JackPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I did try that. So how do I go about doing a restore please ?
Also, this started when I tried to download a video file from an email. The app froze, closed then was like this. I have deleted that email via safari but it didn't help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is a good place to start.

If restoring from a backup doesn't work, the same steps without choosing a backup file result in a clean restore (factory reset). The second procedure (Restore from an iCloud backup to a device you already set up) is the one you want.

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

You may have to turn off Find My iPhone and enter your iCloud password before erasing the iPad.

You will definitely want to make a new backup before doing this. It would also be a good idea to save off any important files, photos, or other documents that you don't want to risk. While the backup will save most of them, backups sometimes fail. That, and if it turns out you can't use the backup and need to do a clean restore, then those files would be lost.

This is a pain, but if the Mail app is completely hosed then it's the only way to fix the issue.

On the other hand, I can't figure out how downloading a video file from email would cause this. If you have AppleCare, and your iPad is still covered I'd recommend using Tech Support first.

Or if you have a nearby Apple Store, make a Genius appointment and have them look at it. They won't charge unless there is something hardware related to fix.

OP
J

JackPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I just tried a restore without deleting data, to no avail. Re: the video file, I don't know that it had anything to do with it and it was from a trusted source, I just mentioned it because the problems started when I tried to download it (the download did work)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the restore without a backup doesn't work, you may have to reinstall iOS altogether. You'll need a computer running iTunes do do this. It involves downloading the correct version of iOS for you device from the internet, and using DFU mode.

Hopefully you won't have to do this, but if you do we do have resident experts on the process. I'm not. Most of them hang out in the Hacking section of the forum, since jailbreaking often involves these tricks.

Most reactions

Latest posts