What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email app reading the wrong # of new emails unable to clear

Biglaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 is showing 1792 emails on the app but in all actuality There are no emails. I have deleted them but it thinks they are still there.

Any ideas how to delete number from app?

OP
B

Biglaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. On the app it states the number of email I have. It has never reset from when I had 1792 unread.
They all have been deleted but it still shows 1792.

OP
B

Biglaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the stock email app. You know when a new email come in there is a red number that come on top of the all. That is the number is reading 1792 but there is no new ones.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, still not clear. You seemed to have contradicted yourself.

When you say "on the app" you mean on the app icon on the desktop?
88a54605cc15681188e48a6642251197.jpg

OP
B

Biglaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes this is what I am talking about. Normally after you open new emails the number goes away. On my ipad3 it will not clear after all has been read. It use to go away but after not opening email on ipad 3 for a while now the number is still there.

Sorry for confusion. I sometimes confuse myself.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is odd that it does not clear. What email provider do you use? I'm wondering if by "deleting" the emails (without opening them), it just moves them to a trash folder that is yet to be cleared, hence the number still appears.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unread emails can hide in folders other than the Inbox, if they got moved before opening. If you tap the Mailboxes button top right abover list), then the account name (second half of mailbox list), you will see all the folders in that account. Andy folders with unread email in them should have a number to the right.

If you have an IMAP or Exchange account (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, iCloud and some others) then it would probably be easier to delete and re-add the account than to hunt down and mark as read all the emails.

In a POP3 account, you should only have Sent, Trash, and maybe a Drafts folder. These will be local, and you should be able to Edit and Delete All for the Trash folder; and hopefully clear the issue.

OP
B

Biglaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I have 3 different email address set up on both my ipad and iphone. I have looked in the draft, trash, sent. and inbox and there is nothing showing.

I guess something is quirky in the ipad.

I will try deleting all of them and resetting up.

Thank you so much for all the advice.

Most reactions