What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electricity Leaks

jasminz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,anybody of you have experience where the ipad2 having some sort of electric leaks when the unit been charging. When touching the metal side at the back of it, i can feel an electrics, it is a minor electric charge. The charging is using the original iPad wall charger. Do I need to claim a warranty for replace my unit. It is at two month old only.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you search the Forum, you'll find several other posts with Members experiencing the same thing.

Tim

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,anybody of you have experience where the ipad2 having some sort of electric leaks when the unit been charging. When touching the metal side at the back of it, i can feel an electrics, it is a minor electric charge. The charging is using the original iPad wall charger. Do I need to claim a warranty for replace my unit. It is at two month old only.
i had the same thing and i changed it and the second one was the same,lots of people have this,i found that if you connect the cable to a charging cable from a macbook pro it stops,i got one from apple,or you can buy the 10watts extension from any shop selling apple products and that does the same thing,another advantage with either of these is that you have a longer cable.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are getting shocked just by touching the case when it's charging, the Ipad needs to be returned ASAP. That is a safety issue and should not happen at all.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are getting shocked just by touching the case when it's charging, the Ipad needs to be returned ASAP. That is a safety issue and should not happen at all.
think jazminz said minor,it sounds exactly the same as mine and many others,from what i understand its because the cable isn't earthed,thats what i was told anyway in a third party store,i don't have the problem at all now,its an easy fix :)

Last edited:

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
think jazminz said minor,it sounds exactly the same as mine and many others,its because the cable isn't earthed,i don't have the problem at all now,its an easy fix :)

Sorry but I will disagree, if there is a grounding (earthed:p) problem with the cable and people are getting shocked then yes that is a big safety problem.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
think jazminz said minor,it sounds exactly the same as mine and many others,its because the cable isn't earthed,i don't have the problem at all now,its an easy fix :)

Sorry but I will disagree, if there is a grounding (earthed:p) problem with the cable and people are getting shocked then yes that is a big safety problem.
from what i understand its not a known issue,if you do a google search you can find lots of posts on this subject and they all sound the same,i myself was concerned and found the sensation unpleasant but certainly wasn't getting shocks,of course IF anyone is experiencing shocks they should take their device to the nearest apple store and I'm sure they will be more than happy to check it out,thats what i did,apple will bend over backwards to help.

Last edited:
OP
J

jasminz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everybody with the advise, thought and information.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i feel similar vibrations when mine's charging up on it's metal stand. No shocks, just a slight vibration.

i pay it no heed.

I experience the same problem, though not in a cradle, there is no shock but a gentle vibration, again I have taken no notice of it thinking it was a troublesome cable!

accessoriesguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cellularfactory.com

really? that's not normal? I got shocked a couple of times by a macbook pro, it's out of warranty, maybe i should take it in to see what they say.

Most reactions