What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing problems

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys hope someone can help with this problem.
When editing in say Memo, if I want to highlight a word to make it Bold the normal procedure is to tap on the word and hold, then a you get a popup saying "Select, Select All, Paste, Insert Photo" and then after clicking on "Select" you get a further popup saying "Cut, Copy, Paste, BUI, Define, Insert Photo" I would select "BUI" and then Bold. However in some cases it does not give the first option set, you just get "Copy, Select All, Define" this then means you can't select the word to put into "Bold". I have noticed this several time and it can be infuriating as it may have been working properly a minute earlier and as far as I can see nothing has changed, I still have the on screen keyboard displayed and yet I can't get it to do what I want.
Has anyone come across this before and how do you fix it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you are in editing mode, that the cursor and keyboard are visible. If you try selecting text in view/reading mode then the options are different, geared to selecting larger amounts of text, copying, and other options that don't allow you to change the text.

If you are using a bluetooth keyboard, it can be harder to tell.

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet,

So how do you know that you are in editing mode, is it just when the keyboard is displayed on the scree that you are in editing mode?

I have just been experimenting with this now and I think that is the problem. However I also use a Bluetooth keyboard so how do you know then as there is no on screen keyboard? Sometimes I have found it difficult to get the on screen keyboard to pop up even with the Bluetooth keyboard switched off is there an easy way to make it pop up?

I have some other queries about Bluetooth keyboards, but I will come back to them at another time as I don't want to go off on a tangent now.

Thanks again twerppoet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are in edit mode, there will be a cursor, usually blinking, to let you know where any text you type will appear.

Cursor.png

If you are having trouble getting the touch keyboard to appear, make certain the bluetooth keyboard is really off, or turn off Bluetooth in settings.

It is possible to get the touch keyboard to appear even when the bluetooth keyboard is paired and on, if it has the right key. Apple keyboards and those made specifically for the iPad should have an eject, or keyboard key that will slide the touch keyboard in and out of view.

Other keyboard's eject keys may or may not work. The picture shows the eject key of my Apple Bluetooth keyboard, which works. Keyboards made specifically for the iPad may use a different icon, probably something that looks like a keyboard.

EjectKey.jpg

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again TP,

The keyboard that I use is Logitec Ultrathin Keyboard Folio i5, for the iPad. This has worked fine and there is a way to switch to the on screen keyboard by pressing fn+5 which I would use a lot as I need the euro symbol which is not on the bluetooth keyboard.

Unfortunately this function stopped working around the time I updated to IOS 8, not sure if this is as a result of the upgrade or not. I did send an email to Logitec but have not heard back ... Yet.

As IOS 8 allows the use of other keyboards I have downloaded two others, Swipe and TextExpander, is it possible they could be causing problems?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose they might be a problem if you are using them, but if you've got the default keyboard selected I don't see why it would make a difference. I have several third party keyboards loaded, and they don't' seem to matter (as long as I'm not using them).

Then again, I rarely use my bluetooth keyboard with the iPad, so I probably would not notice infrequent bugs.

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I will go with that and see how if goes.

Thanks again TP

Most reactions

Latest posts