What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing Apps

dforgeron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does an app exist that would allow you to import a 'Word' documents and using a ipad pen 'mark up' the document then allow it to be emailed?
thanks

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maybe annotation?

goodreader may let you do that

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 annotating apps - iAnnotate, DocumentsToGo and Goodreader. After trying, I can say that none of them let me "scribble" on a Word (.doc/.docx) file. You can edit the file with the keyboard in all but Goodreader - but not write on it...

Have you considered using your computer to save the Word file as a PDF? Then you can use iAnnotate or Goodreader to write on the document.

Long story short: No, I don't know of an app that'll let you scribble on Word documents. Sorry.

Marilyn

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Part of the problem is that a Word document is basically a text document with format instructions embedded. It is not designed to read your scribble or to save it. It is not a "pixel processor" like PDF is. Most don't know what PDF stands for but it is Portable Document Format and the letters are actually bit drawn. You can [with lots of patience, or at least you could] actually create your own characters for PDF to print but you need to show it the xy coordinates of each bit. I had a programmer who worked for me in 1984 or 85 who wrote a message by building his own xy coordinate scheme for the PDF reader to read. Took a week to write his name in the xy coordinates. Not practical but interesting. When you scribble on a PDF document, the program doing the work is taking your input as bits [xy] coordinates and color info and feeding the reader. Probably a poor description but I am mostly a Manager/Engineer, not a programmer [although I have written some Fortran and Unix/shell scripts in 1966-1983 time frame] I have forgotten how to do most of that.

OP
D

dforgeron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks folks. All very helpful and i suspect unless i convert to PDF i will not soon be marking up my staff's reports and emailing them back....

as for the chap who wanted to know what 'Pen i speak of' i purchased one on Amazon which replicates the actions of your finger ...and a bit more accurately...

Most reactions

Latest posts