What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edit Windows Paint files

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi can someone suggest an app that will allow me to open a Windows Paint JPEG file and edit it and then save it back as a JPEG file.

Thanks in advance.

Stag

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Jpegs are pretty much universal. Almost all drawing and image processing apps will both import and export them.

What kind of editing and tools are you looking for?

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jpegs are pretty much universal. Almost all drawing and image processing apps will both import and export them.

What kind of editing and tools are you looking for?

Hi twerppoet and thanks for getting back to me.
Our company uses Paint to create maps of our customers premises. These maps are just for our use to show approximate locations of various items and are not too detailed, very basic actually.
What I want to do is to be able to edit these and udate the drawings to reflect any changes that have taken place and save back to Dropbox where they are all located.
My problem is that I have not seen any apps that will allow drawing of shapes like boxes, circles etc. similar to Paint. Some apps are more like Photoshop but I dont need this level of sophistication, something basic is all that I need.
Any help would be appreciated.
Stag

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have any basic apps that are exactly what you are asking for; but here is what I do have.

Overkill, and then some:

SketchBook Pro: Massive overkill, but it does have line, circle, and square tools. The basic, free, version might be all you need.

Sketch Club: Again, overkill. It also has the basic line, circle, and square tools. There is a social/sharing site, but you don't have to use it.

Both of these involve importing your image into the app, then doing whatever you want. The main problem is that they are so powerful that you'll spend some time learning. Then again, some of the tools might come in handy down the line.

I have several other art/drawing apps, but they don't have the tools you want.

Off to the side a bit:

Skitch: A really basic annotation app, it lets you mark up just about any image and save it back off in most formats. The main advantage is that if you keep the Skitch's files you can go back and edit them. Also works with Evernote; which means you could share a notebook of editable files with other Evernote users. And it's free, so you might as well see if you like it.

If you see a marked up image on this forum, it's probably Skitch. It can be more subtle than most of the images you see, as we tend towards making things obvious here.

Inkpad: This is actually a vector drawing tool, and a nice one. You can import your jpegs from the Photos app and then create vector drawings on top. You can not save as a jpeg, but I'm guessing that Microsoft Paint will be just as happy to import a png; one of the formats averrable. If you've got ideas for migrating your jpeg images to a more flexible, editable vector format, this could be the way to go about it. You could keep the old library updated using png, while simultaneously saving off edited fils as SVG (a standard vector based format). When the majority of the fils have both, then you're ready for a relatively painless transition.

If you decide to do that, I recommend using the imported photo as a guide layer to recreate the image, then discarding it before saving.

I'm sure there are simpler apps available, and probably free. Hopefully someone else can make suggestions. I've always gone for the higher end apps that do more than I want, or very specialized apps that do one or two things very well.

Good luck.

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any basic apps that are exactly what you are asking for; but here is what I do have.

Overkill, and then some:

SketchBook Pro: Massive overkill, but it does have line, circle, and square tools. The basic, free, version might be all you need.

Sketch Club: Again, overkill. It also has the basic line, circle, and square tools. There is a social/sharing site, but you don't have to use it.

Both of these involve importing your image into the app, then doing whatever you want. The main problem is that they are so powerful that you'll spend some time learning. Then again, some of the tools might come in handy down the line.

I have several other art/drawing apps, but they don't have the tools you want.

Off to the side a bit:

Skitch: A really basic annotation app, it lets you mark up just about any image and save it back off in most formats. The main advantage is that if you keep the Skitch's files you can go back and edit them. Also works with Evernote; which means you could share a notebook of editable files with other Evernote users. And it's free, so you might as well see if you like it.

If you see a marked up image on this forum, it's probably Skitch. It can be more subtle than most of the images you see, as we tend towards making things obvious here.

Inkpad: This is actually a vector drawing tool, and a nice one. You can import your jpegs from the Photos app and then create vector drawings on top. You can not save as a jpeg, but I'm guessing that Microsoft Paint will be just as happy to import a png; one of the formats averrable. If you've got ideas for migrating your jpeg images to a more flexible, editable vector format, this could be the way to go about it. You could keep the old library updated using png, while simultaneously saving off edited fils as SVG (a standard vector based format). When the majority of the fils have both, then you're ready for a relatively painless transition.

If you decide to do that, I recommend using the imported photo as a guide layer to recreate the image, then discarding it before saving.

I'm sure there are simpler apps available, and probably free. Hopefully someone else can make suggestions. I've always gone for the higher end apps that do more than I want, or very specialized apps that do one or two things very well.

Good luck.

Thank for all that info. There are plenty of apps to look at. I will spend some time trawling through them to see what might suite best, as you said they are probably overkill, but certainly I will check them out.

Once again thanks for your help.

Most reactions