What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edit Functions Malfunctioning

Woko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there.
The edit functions such as select & cut aren't working on my iPad Mini 4. Is this a common problem & is there a cure?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you tell us a bit more about your problem? In which app do you face it? What happens when you try to edit, and what exactly do you wish to edit?

As an example:
If you want to edit text in Pages, you'll have to tap somewhere in the text so that the keyboard appears. Then tap and hold one of the words that have to be edited, to see this next:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454143328.324619.jpg

After selecting one word, all of the text, or just a part of it, these are the next options you get:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454143380.487820.jpg

OP
W

Woko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, J.A. Here are some examples of the problems I'm having.

When I was typing a post in the Birds in Backyards forum to which I belong I hit the wrong button & an unwanted partial screen of symbols came up. When I returned to the keyboard I couldn't return the cursor to the end of the sentence where I was typing no matter how many times I tried. But I was able to place the cursor part way through the sentence I was typing in order to correct a spelling mistake.

In Word I attempted four times to place the cursor in front of a letter but as soon as I lifted my finger the cursor moved to the line below. On the fifth attempt I was able to place the cursor within two letters of the letter to be changed. On the sixth attempt I was able to place the cursor where I wanted it. In a different place in the document this function worked OK.

In another location in the same document I had the same problem of repeatedly not being able to place the cursor where I wanted it & with the cursor moving to the line below. After about five attempts I successfully placed the cursor.

Again in Word I made several attempts to change "Australia" to "Australian". I eventually ended up with "tralian". What this means for the Australian Constitution I'm not sure.

Also in Word, when I tried to reposition the cursor in order to change a letter a selection was made. Attempts to get rid of the selection only resulted in a larger selection being made. Eventually, a selection was made of the word together with a suggested new spelling. I knew I was on the right track at last!

I'm wondering if, after a number of years playing cricket & Australian football my fingers are no longer sensitive or delicate enough to hit the right note, so to speak. And is there a hidden setting in the iPad Mini 4 which can be changed to accommodated thick fingered people like me?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you try editing your text placing two fingers right next to each other on the keyboard of your iPad? It will turn into this
image.png

which makes it easier to get to the right place in your text. Slide both fingers on the "keyboard" and watch the cursor in your text move until you are exactly where you wish to edit the text.
Moving the cursor into a word and tapping on the keyboard once with both fingers simultaneously will select one word, double tapping will select a whole sentence.

OP
W

Woko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That worked! Thanks J.A. Not only am I now able to edit more proficiently but faith in my fingers has been restored!

Most reactions