What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebook apps - is Apple denying us access?

Gen from Oz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do love my IPad - had it 3 months and use it daily. But while I loved the ebook function, I tunes has few books and they are too expensive. Found the Kindle (Amazon) app, and this solved problem. But I'm a bit concerned - heard Apple is demanding a cut for all Amazon books to IPad, or will block downloads. Also, wanted to download Nook to IPad app, so can buy their ebooks, and is blocked. If Apple can’t supply ebooks, why is it blocking those who can? I was going to buy husband new iPad, but bought him a kindle instead. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I'm a bit concerned - heard Apple is demanding a cut for all Amazon books to IPad, or will block downloads.
So far, these are just rumors, but very troublesome ones if there is any truth to them. Whether or not I buy the next generation iPad has more to do with Apple's relationship with Amazon than with any features the new model will have.

Also, wanted to download Nook to IPad app, so can buy their ebooks, and is blocked. If Apple can’t supply ebooks, why is it blocking those who can? I was going to buy husband new iPad, but bought him a kindle instead. Any thoughts?
So far, my Nook app works just fine.

I am a bit confused over your location. Your user name appears to place you in Australia, but the location in your profile says WA - Washington State in the US. If you are indeed "down under", there are copyright laws that vary from country to country that determine what can be sold where.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
. I am a bit confused over your location. Your user name appears to place you in Australia, but the location in your profile says WA - Washington State in the US. If you are indeed "down under", there are copyright laws that vary from country to country that determine what can be sold where.

WA also means Western Australia:).

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my bought ebooks are via Kindle for price reasons; if Apple did start kicking off like that, then I'd simply buy a Kindle - it wouldn't take long for me to recoup the cost in ebook savings and the kindle reader has enough plus points to make it an acceptable device to carry around in addition to the iPad.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that the iPad is great, except for the "Walled Garden" restrictions, not being able to freely copy files to and from external devices etc. I have been able do the is on my Windows Mobile phone for years and I assume that it's possible on Android devices.

I think that it stems from the iPad's iPod ancestry where Digital Rights Protection had some relevance and, conveniently, provided a justification for the iTunes monopoly.

I think that, as the Tablet market matures, Apple will find it almost impossible to maintain it's stance without being marginalized.

OP
G

Gen from Oz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my bought ebooks are via Kindle for price reasons; if Apple did start kicking off like that, then I'd simply buy a Kindle - it wouldn't take long for me to recoup the cost in ebook savings and the kindle reader has enough plus points to make it an acceptable device to carry around in addition to the iPad.

Exactly my thoughts!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Kindle is also restricted in its own way with, for instance, not being able to download books from digital libraries but I understad what you are saying. If they block Kindle and Nook that will certainly sway my next tablet purchase.

I don't think Barnes and Noble (Nook) have stores or sell in Australia so this may be the reason the app is blocked.

Diane

JasonAus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just had the iPad 2 for a few days. I was wondering if there is an update to this thread. I have used Kindle on my iPhone 3GS and purchased ebooks (cheaper and wider selection than iBooks). On the iPad2 I can not access the book store in Kindle. I have noted a the mentioning of country of origin as an issue, I thought the "Free trade agreement" between Australia and the United states of America was meant to stop this.

Cheers

Jason

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazon has created a new cloud web app that you can use. Or you can access Kindle books directly from the standard Amazon web site. You just can't access books directly form the Kindle app.

Still works, just different.

cjfireman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys new meat here so be gentle
I am in Australia and am having probes getting the 'nook' app.
Is this because we have different laws here as a previous thread stated?
Cheers Cj

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't believe you can purchase a Nook in Australia either. You'll have to ask Barnes & Noble why not...

Most reactions

Latest posts