Eastern Tennessee - Knoxville - Atomic Bomb!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, last post here was 2 years ago - I'm sure that there has been much recovery since then - our son, Stephen, and his wife, Joy have just brought up a joint visit to the Gatlinburg area (5 hour drive for him from Indianapolis & 4 hours for us) - have picked an early May date - he wants to rent a multi-bedroom cabin - will post more later - Dave :)

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Today Early May 2019 Arrived at our Gatlinburg Area Cabin!

Our son found a cabin in the mountains remote from but near the 'hustle & bustle' of the Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge area - BUT, we were not expecting such spaciousness and luxury - the location is shown on the map below, actually in Sevierville - the cabin has two main levels + a smaller 3rd higher loft; 4 1/2 bedrooms, game room, and big screen entertainment room (we both brought a bunch of DVDs & BDs). Pics below of the place (from the web); last views of the mountains are mine from the outside decks - believe that we will have a pleasant 4 nights there - more to come! :) Dave
    GatTN19_A1.png GatTN19_A2.jpg GatTN19_A3.png GatTN19_A4.png GatTN19_A6.png GatTN19_A7.png GatTN19_A8.png GatTN19_B1.JPG GatTN19_B2.JPG GatTN19_B3.JPG

#82 giradman, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Just a couple of pics early our first morning from the cabin deck - these are certainly lovely mountains - Dave :)

GatTN19_AX1.JPG GatTN19_AX2.JPG

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A perfect place for a vacation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Scifan.. - the place is indeed spectacular and the views wonderful - Tuesday, we were out most of the day and saw a 'comedy show' at night, so no time to post; and we're about to go out for the day in an hour or so - Cade's Cove and Clingman's Dome (up coming posts) - interestingly, the 'satellite' Wi-Fi in the cabin behaves erratically, i.e. I'm getting only about 1 Mbps DL speed at night but 30+ Mbps in the morning, so can really post pics early (or the middle?) in the day - my IT son is at a lost for the moment - for the moment, I'll have to just save the posts - there will be plenty to come. Dave :)

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll be waiting for what I'm sure will be some more very interesting travel posts.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Gatlingburg - Aquarium - Ole Smoky Moonshine - Roaring Fork Auto Tour - Comedy Barn

Well, on our first full day, we headed toward Gatlingburg - will not give much detail unless an activity is new or I have some new pics to share - this area has been covered in previous posts, so for those planning a visit, please look back at the earlier pages of the tread.

We revisited the excellent Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies - one of the best attractions in the area (IMO); love the large tunneled water enclosure (just a couple of web images below - much more earlier in the thread). Then lunched at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., a chain w/ a Forrest Gump theme (i.e. the movie w/ Tom Hanks) w/ obviously a LOT of shrimp options. After lunch, a visit to the Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine distillery for a tasting - TN moonshine made on site (plus in other nearby locales) and blended at usually lower proof w/ a wide assortment of 'goodies' (pic below shows just some of their products - they also put cherries, pickles, etc. into the moonshine); then took the 5.5 mile Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, which will be described w/ pics in the next post.

After the 'auto nature trail', we headed to Pigeon Forge for an excellent dinner at the Bull Fish Grill - Susan & I shared charred oysters and I had a well prepared mountain trout. Then just down the road, we saw the show at the Comedy Barn - despite this being our 4th visit to the area over the decades, we have never been drawn to a live show - but all of us did enjoy - a variety of musicians, cloggers, comedians (w/ audience participation), dog act, and an outstanding juggler (originally from the Netherlands) - a little corny, as expected but entertaining - for those interested, watch several YouTube videos for an introduction. Dave :)
    GatTN2019_C1.jpg GatTN2019_C2.jpg GatTN2019_C3.jpg GatTN2019_C4.jpg GatTN2019_C5.jpg GatTN2019_C6.jpg GatTN2019_D1.jpg GatTN2019_D2.jpg GatTN2019_D3.jpg GatTN2019_D4.png GatTN2019_D5.jpg GatTN2019_D6.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail - Gatlinburg Must Do!

The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is close to downtown Gatlinburg, and a 'must do' - only a 5.5 mile one-way loop road, there are scenic overlooks, trails to waterfalls, such as Rainbow and Grotto Falls (which we did not do at our age, i.e. 5 or 7 mile walking round trips on moderate to strenuous trails - but I've included some web pics below - other images my own). I've always been amazed to be in hustle & bustle of this tourist resort mountain town and be able to see nature in just 5-10 minutes - highly recommended. Dave :)
    GatTN19E0.png GatTN19E1RFork1.jpg GatTN19E2RFork4.JPG GatTN19E3RFork2.JPG GatTN19E4RFork5.JPG GatTN19E5RFork6.JPG GatTN19E6RFork7.JPG GatTN19E7RFork8.JPG GatTN19E8.jpg GatTN19E9.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Woes of Wi-Fi in our mountain cabin - :(

My posts have been delayed a day or so because we determined that our satellite Wi-Fi router had a 'data cap' which permitted only 1-2 Mbps DL & UL speeds, insufficient to do much more that check our email, and certainly not adequate to upload and download multiple large images or to even browse the web at a decent rate.

SO, our IT son setup his iPhone as a 'hot spot' and I've been on his 'network' for the last few days, and was able to just place a couple of posts (getting about 30-40 Mbps DL speeds on his network) - we do not have that choice on Susan's iPhone, and his company pays his expenses. Felt like I was back in the dial-up modem days - :eek::D

He called the rental office and they are 'checking into the satellite service' but I'm sure the rates are set in stone - this cabin can easily accommodate a dozen people, who together could have at least 2 dozen Wi-Fi gizmos - now that's a LOT of bandwidth - really the first time lately that I've had an issue w/ broadband wireless in a rental place, either condo or hotel. BUT - we've brought along a bunch of DVDs/BDs and have been enjoying that entertainment room shown earlier! Dave :)

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Cades Cove - Another Must Visit in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

On our second day, our major goal was a visit to Cades Cove, nearly an hour and half drive and located in the National Park - there is an 11-mile one-way loop road and multiple potential stops along the way (see map) - walkers and bicyclists are often seen - our son had an audio tour (purchased on Amazon, shown below) which was great giving us much of the history quoted below - the 'valley' is between two mountain ridges (my pics at a scenic stop) - historic buildings can be visited and include homesteads, churches and a grist mill - a Visitor's Center is also present; for $1 an excellent guide book can be purchased at the entry point. After our drive, we stopped at the picnic grounds for a bag lunch, sitting next to a beautiful stream - much wildlife lives in the area - however, we saw just a bunch of birds, some horses, and one young bear (see pic). Another must place to visit in the park. Dave :)

GatTen19F1.jpg GatTen19F2.jpg GatTen19F3.png GatTen19F4.JPG GatTen19F5.JPG GatTen19F6.JPG GatTen19F7.JPG GatTen19G1.jpg GatTen19G2.jpg GatTen19G3.jpg GatTen19G4.jpg GatTen19G5.jpg GatTen19G6.jpg GatTen19G7.JPG GatTen19G8.JPG GatTen19G9.JPG

#90 giradman, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019