Eastern Tennessee - Knoxville - Atomic Bomb!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Clingmans Dome - Highest Mountain in Tennessee!

Clingmans Dome is the highest point in the Park and in Tennessee (at 6,643 ft), and is located near the TN-North Carolina border - it's the 3rd highest point east of the Mississippi River, as described below. My last visit was 20+ years ago - there is a half mile paved moderately inclined path to the observation tower and worth a visit; however, would have been a good 4 hr trip there and back after our Cades Cove lunch; the group decided an afternoon rest in the cabin was their preference; but, below just a few pics from the web of the Dome and view, which is spectacular. Dave :)

P.S. We had brought some bison filet mignons and Susan's grill pan, so 'ate in' that night and watched a movie later in the entertainment center.

GatTN_H1.png GatTN_H2.jpg GatTN_H3.jpg GatTN_H4.jpg GatTN_H5.jpg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Dolly Parton's Stampede - Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge

As many know, Dolly Parton is a country music legend and Hall of Fame member - she was born in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and has contributed much to the community, most recently in the devastating fires in the area in 2016 discussed earlier in this travelogue. She also has a number of attractions in Pigeon Forge (and elsewhere, such as Branson, Missouri), including the Dolly Parton's Stampede, a dinner variety show emphasizing equestrian acts, but also other animals, comedy, and more - show is about 90 minutes long; also, as quoted below from a news article dated 2015, a major expensive renovation of the venue was done.

Based on our son's YouTube research, he purchased us tickets to the show - I was dubious having just attended (and enjoyed) one show in the Gatlinburg area over many visits - we were all pleasantly surprised and entertained. The acts included all sorts of animals, even bison, but mainly horses; other activities were comedy routines, audience participation, an aerial presentation w/ a flying actor attached to a ceiling wire. The dinner (pic below) was quite good - mushroom soup & cheesy fresh biscuit, small herb-flavored whole roasted chicken, piece of pork (a little dry for me), fresh corn on the cob, baked potato slice nicely buttered, and an apple pastry dessert. Susan even wanted the pictures of us taken on entrance - the package included multiple pics, key chain/magnet, and code for a download of the images - last two images of us w/ our son and DIL (yes, he's much taller than me - as is Susan's brother). Overall, a recommendation from me, but, if interested, look at reviews and watch some YouTube videos. Dave :)

GatTN_J1.png GatTN_J2.jpg GatTN_J3.jpg GatTN_J4.jpg GatTN_J5.jpg GatTN_J6.jpg GatTN_J7.jpg GatTN_J8.jpg

3. jon del

jon del
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Wow great pictures... superb

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Jon - welcome to the forum! :) And thanks for your comments - as you likely noticed, I use a combination of my own pics and those that I search for on the web - have a LOT of travelogue threads in the Travel Section; if interested, take a look and add some comments. Dave

#94 giradman, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019