What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easier 2 Recreate iPad app off Mac OS or Windows?

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all

I am using a barcode scanner as an example to make everything more simple.

Let's say I have a barcode scanner that connects to a computer through USB, and that barcode scan needs software on the computer to display its readings.

Let's say I wanted to make that barcode scanner work on an iPad. I want to get a IOS programmer write a similar program for the iPad as program that the barcode scanner uses on the computer.

When it comes to replicating the software, and barcode scanner recognition on the iPad..... Does it make it easier for a programmer to rewrite software or drivers from Mac OS based code or Windows code?

I would assume it would be easier building iOS software based off Mac OS than windows.
Thanks!

OP
K

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also... Does anyone see any big problems or complications that might arise with the whole overall task at hand?

OP
K

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
265 views and not one developer knows?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter.

First off you need a barcode scanner that works with the iPad or iPhone. Not all will. It has to have its own power source and look like a keyboard.

Objective C is the programming language, and since the barcode reader looks like a keyboard to the iPad or iPhone, there is no special driver programming required.

You don't have low enough level access to write and install driver software on iOS devices.

OP
K

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

I dont understand? How to other people make accessories for the iPad or iPhone if you cannot get on a low enough level to to write drivers.

I have seen plenty of videos of people controlling robots and such with a iPad or iPhone. I would assume the iPad is hooked up to the microcontroller on the robot. I don't see how this word be possible based on your reply.

Also they use iOS to control and monitor equipment in hospitals. I doubt everything that they use looks like a keyboard to the device

Please inform me of what I am missing:s

And are you saying it doesn't make it easier recreating an iOS app out of either Mac osx or window?

Last edited:
OP
K

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok let's say the barcode scanner was Bluetooth instead of serial port.... Would that make a difference in compatibility?

Most reactions

Latest posts