What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earphone Plug Died

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive had this iPad five for about two months. Worked fine until two weeks ago when I loaded Netflix to watch nightly. One earphone stopped working unless I jiggled it around, but that lasted two weeks. Last week both earphones stopped working. I was using cheap earbuds but tried my Bose earbuds. DOA.

I know I’ll have to send them back for repair under warranty. Unless y’all know of a fix!!?

I’m unable to find an email address for Apple and my speech isn’t clear due to disability. If I have to call, I just need a patient support person in the USA. Could you please provide a possible fix or an email address for Apple Support? A phone number, too. I know I can leave a callback number because I can’t hold the phone for too long.

I don’t live alone and do not want others to hear what I’m watching. I like privacy

Thanks in advance for fixing my issue. Okay, trying to fix my issue!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it the earbuds or the headphone jack on the iPad that stopped working? If you live close enough to an Apple Store or an authorized service centre you could take in the iPad for a diagnostic. If there is a hardware failure of the headphone jack it should be covered under the standard warranty. Here's the Apple support website. you have various communication options, including email. This is the Canadian page but if you scroll to the bottom you can change the country. Official Apple Support

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m unable to get to the store at this point. It’s the jack as I tried five pair of earbuds plus the Bose set.

Apple is unavailable to me until they reset my password. I’ve been waiting for almost a week and just requested it again.

I just realized that I never registered this new iPad under warranty. The model they replaced was registered so I’m hoping that they added this unit to my account. I’ll have someone call for me and ask the Apple Store (an hour away) about warranty service.

Thank you

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi iPadS.... - you've already received good advice and have tested yourself - if you've tried 6 sets of 'earbuds' and these work in other devices (have you tried?), then the headphone jack is likely the culprit - you can gently attempt to 'blow-out' the jack to determine if 'debris' might be an issue (google for the safest recommendations!); otherwise, a visit to an Apple store or an authorized Apple service is still recommended.

In the meantime, do you have a set of wireless Bluetooth earbuds and/or headphones - I've accumulated 3 or 4 over the years and is my preference vs. being wired - I now have a new iPad Pro w/o a headphone jack, so BT devices are the only choice (one exception - there is an adapter for the USB-C port) - SO, go wireless! Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman, thank you. I bought a can of Dust Out or something like that and blew out the dust but it didn’t help.

I’m not well-versed in Bluetooth. How can I find out if I can connect to Bluetooth before purchasing? It would make things easier if I was wireless.

I’ve seen wireless for $50 or so.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman, thank you. I bought a can of Dust Out or something like that and blew out the dust but it didn’t help.

I’m not well-versed in Bluetooth. How can I find out if I can connect to Bluetooth before purchasing? It would make things easier if I was wireless.

I’ve seen wireless for $50 or so.

Bluetooth (BT) is an excellent 'short range' wireless technology that you should certainly learn about - I'm now on my third iPad (since 2011) and have used BT on all - first w/ an Apple wireless keyboard, then w/ a variety of 'speakers' (e.g. earbuds, over the ear headphones, TV soundbars, & small travel speakers).

To activate, simply go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Turn ON (see the first pic below from my iPad Pro) - note that I have a handful of devices 'Not Connected' but could used - also, I've paired my earbuds - 'discovery and pairing' are the steps used to setup a BT device - more information HERE - take a look.

Price ranges vary WIDELY from say $20 to hundreds of dollars, depending on many factors - at the moment, I own the $20 earbuds shown below and also several 'over the ears' headphones - the most expensive one is the last pic AKG, about a hundred bucks - of course, one can pay MUCH more, if in the budget and desired? Just go on Amazon and take a look (and check the reviews) or to a local store (e.g. Best Buy, Apple, Walmart, etc.). Good luck. Dave :)
IMG_4485.PNG
Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.38.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.46.53 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bone Conduction Headphones - New Experience for Me!

Now, I'm not trying to 'hijack' this thread, but may interest some reading the posts and wondering about Bluetooth (BT) 'headphones' - in the past, the usual types were 'in the ear' (earbuds), 'over the ears' (still let in surrounding sounds), and 'cover the ears' (for the best sound isolation).

Now available for a while (not sure when these first appeared on the market - others may 'chime in'?) are 'bone conduction headphones' which touch the temples just in front of the ears and transmit sound waves to the inner ear and cochlea - in addition to my earbuds and over the ear headphones, I also have an older Rockfish headphones used mainly on trips in the finesse centers - however, the foam disintegrated and the company has no replacements (first pic) , thus decided to look for another option.

So, just purchased the Bonein BN-702 'bone conduction' device from Amazon (2nd pic) - arrived today and looks perfect for travel - put on a full charge and paired to my iPad - the sound is excellent (w/ your ear canals open, more or less like listening to your stereo music) and the set comfortable; apparently the materials are water/sweat resistant (latter the reason my foam fell apart); also a pair of foam ear plugs come w/ the set if one wants to eliminate extraneous noise - probably like others, I constantly see people w/ headphones on listening to music and/or conversing on their phone who are completely oblivious of surrounding sound (potentially quite dangerous); these 'bone conduction' options make a lot of sense in those situations. Dave :)
HPhones3.png

HPhones4.png

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the Anker wireless Bluetooth earbuds and love them. Under $25 and I emailed a question to them with a response in a few hours.

Thanks for the Bluetooth information. I printed it out today.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I got the Anker wireless Bluetooth earbuds and love them. Under $25 and I emailed a question to them with a response in a few hours.

Thanks for the Bluetooth information. I printed it out today.

GREAT! A BT convert - now you just need a good speaker - shown below is my newest one that I take on the road when traveling - sound level is great for a small hotel room. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.06.45 PM.png

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops just saw this. I have a Bose portable speaker. Unopened and ready for use. The Bluetooth earbuds are awesome except they last about seven hours before needing a recharge. Overnight charging works fine and I wish I had a pair of ten foot cord earbuds for a television. I just began searching for them and Bluetooth is my choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts