What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earphone Jack Problem

ParadiseLane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not getting any sound through my earphones when I plug them in. I promise I've pushed hard enough, the music or video is playing, and I tried three different sets (one brand new). Still, nothing comes out, just a little bit of static when I turn it all the way up. I've had my Ipad for three months now, and this has never happened. I would really love it if someone could solve this problem for me. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That the mute switch should not affect music playback, at least for Apple apps. It is hit or miss with other apps, depending on how the developer coded them.

Ideally the mute switch is only supposed to turn off alerts and system sounds.

This is a long shot too, but check Settings >> iPod >> Volume Limit. This will create an upper volume limit for your music (for the iPod app at least). If it was set to nothing it might cause this.

But you should also try another pair of headsets. In my experience a slight difference in the length of the headphone jack has cause seating problems. Many cheaper headphone jacks lack precision in the length measurements. This can be vital because Apple uses a four conductor jack (for the microphone) instead of the standard three used by most headsets, and if they don't seat just right they may not work.

Last edited:
OP
P

ParadiseLane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've switched the mute button on and off a few times and it doesn't make a difference. And like I said, I tried three different sets of headphones, all different brands, one of which I've used on it since I first got my Ipad. But thank you for both of your siggestions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that. Reading too fast.

No idea. I guess it could have gone bad. Happens. You may have to talk to Apple.

huff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not getting any sound through my earphones when I plug them in. I promise I've pushed hard enough, the music or video is playing, and I tried three different sets (one brand new). Still, nothing comes out, just a little bit of static when I turn it all the way up. I've had my Ipad for three months now, and this has never happened. I would really love it if someone could solve this problem for me. Thanks.
same thing happened to me and my ipad is already 9 months old. i was already thinking of bringing it to an apple store when suddenly, after a week and a half after the problem occurred, the earphone jack suddenly worked. whew! maybe something just got loose inside.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
huff said:
same thing happened to me and my ipad is already 9 months old. i was already thinking of bringing it to an apple store when suddenly, after a week and a half after the problem occurred, the earphone jack suddenly worked. whew! maybe something just got loose inside.

Mine did this recently (since my last post in this thread), and cured itself over night. I did some reading, the gist of whish is that it is usually caused by dust in the jack. It blocks the sensor (optical?) so that the iPad (iPhone in my case) thinks the headphones are plugged in. That makes sense to me. I'd just finnished some weed whacking, and the phone did get dusty.

huff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
huff said:

Mine did this recently (since my last post in this thread), and cured itself over night. I did some reading, the gist of whish is that it is usually caused by dust in the jack. It blocks the sensor (optical?) so that the iPad (iPhone in my case) thinks the headphones are plugged in. That makes sense to me. I'd just finnished some weed whacking, and the phone did get dusty.
i knew it was too good to be true. my problem with the jack came back. thanks twerppoet, will try to clean it up.

huff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks twerppoet and bimjo.

i'm thinking of just getting a bluetooth earpiece.

Most reactions

Latest posts