What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ear phones

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

I use the standard Issue iPad ear phones with iPad Mini2, for me they are not loud enough.
Has anyone experience with other makes/types?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Peter..... - in all honesty, I don't feel like being tethered w/ a cable to a device - I've used BT (bluetooth) devices since 2011 w/ my iPads (first an iPad 2 now an Air2) - I use the Rockfish headphones shown below; also have several BT speakers that I carry 'on the road' - these are all fairly inexpensive and not to be cabled is a wonderful feeling, IMHO - let us know if there is a reason you want a wired connection; if so, there are numerous options. Dave :)
41nsC9Y2eNL.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi G Man.
Thanks for a quick reply.
Tethered or not tethered is not too concerning.
I want louder.
BT sounds a good way to try as well.
I don't fancy going to a store and trying plenty of sets as they are generally in tight packets and it is not possible to say how they will sound.
I am hoping someone will say:
XYZ model are louder than the standard set!
Anyway I see in the section below several entries about earphones I will now chech them.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tethered or not tethered is not too concerning.
I want louder.
BT sounds a good way to try as well.
I don't fancy going to a store and trying plenty of sets as they are generally in tight packets and it is not possible to say how they will sound.
I am hoping someone will say: XYZ model are louder than the standard set!
Anyway I see in the section below several entries about earphones I will now chech them.

Hi again Peter.... - well, please provide some more information: 1) Are you referring to the Apple Earbuds shown below, and if so, is the volume adjustment working properly; 2) Have you tried the earbuds w/ another audio system (e.g. stereo, iPod, or other); and 3) Have you upped the volume on the Mini or tried another set of earbuds or headphones? Sorry, if you have already gone through this routine.

Personally, I've never liked earbuds - don't seem to fit my ears, keep falling out, and sound levels always seem low (w/ much ambient noise) - but, I've not tried that many nor was willing to pay for the more expensive ones - so, you might want to consider an over the ear headphone, whether wired or wireless. Do you have (or could you borrow) some different earbuds and/or headphones and give them a try?

Now, as to loudness, what is loud for you? Ear damage is always a possibility when listening to music at high volumes over prolonged periods - second pic below from HERE showing that at 90 dB or above, ear damage becomes a consideration - this is just a general comment for all reading this thread and who may be concerned about volume levels on their earbuds or headphones - P.S. keep in mind that this is a log scale, thus an increment of 10 is really not a doubling but 10X the loudness.

Hope others will 'chime in' w/ their experiences - but my BT headphones (about $60 at Best Buy) provide plenty of sound from my iPad Air 2 - good luck in your selection. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 11.52.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 11.52.33 AM.png

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi G Man.
Once again big thanks for your comprehensive reply.
Same for me that the ear buds tend to fall out and don't fit 100%.
I guess that is to be expected.
My preference is for ear buds because I get some ambient sound, as it is importand I hear my wife's instructions!
I need loudness simply because I am considerably deaf already.
A bit more loud noise is not going to hurt me any more. If I had good hearing then the ear buds would be plenty good enough.
About substituion, I would love to do that but alas don't have that possibility.
Looks like I will have to go to a friendly store and find a friendly salesman who will happily unpack and pack som units for me to try.
That BT set you show look good, I will start with something close to that.
Big thanks!

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi G Man.
Oh I was refering to the Apple ear buds as you show.
And no problem with the various volumn controls, they seem to work fine.
I do a full reset every 2 or 3 days to clear up any glitches.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Peter..... - well I'd suggest getting some over the ear headphones and you would probably love the BT option - mine were cheap so not a big investment (and you could always give to a relative).

AND I understand about the wife - I listen to a LOT of classical music - she enjoys the chamber works, but the orchestral stuff, Baroque keyboard, and more 20th century works can drive her NUTS! SO, I then put on my Sennheiser wireless headphones (shown below) - great fidelity on the 2.4 GHz band - she has to come to me so I either see her or she taps me (lightly, I hope - ;)) - good luck and let us know what you pick. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 8.46.54 PM.png

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi G Man.
Just been to Dick Smith in Aus.
His cheapest BT were twice my range.
I settled for a pair of Philips SHL3060. Tethered alas.
They were on sale at $30 from $60 so I just took a gamble.
Anyway they are louder than the iPad buds, I guess that's not surprising. So far so good.

Most reactions

Latest posts