What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-mail & Indentation Lines

wjgrable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to remove the vertical blue indent line when replying to all e-mails. How can I do this?

Thank you.

Bill

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's no way of telling email not to quote using Reply, or removing just the lines from the quotes. You can of course delete the quote after the fact.

There are some workarounds though.

If you want to reply to just one person, tap on their address in the From or Cc: address field. If they are in you're contact list you'll see their information. Just tap on the email address you want, and a new email email, sans quotes, will be started. If they are not in your address book you will see their email address listed, and the option to add them to a new or existing contact. Again, just tap on the email address.

If you wanted to have some of the message quoted, but without the bars, then double tap on the original email to get a selection highlight, drag the handles around what you want, and choose copy. When you start a new email you can paste the text, and it will not have any quote bars. If you wanted the all the text, tap and hold for a second to get the select all option before copying.

If you were trying to use the Reply All, and wanted to quote text without the bars, then grab the text as I've outlined in the previous paragraph. Then Choose Reply all. When you get there tap and hold for a second to get the Select all option. Select all, but do not copy. Instead just hit the backspace key on the keyboard. Then tap and hold for a second to get the Paste option.

If you Cut or Copy you will replace the text you copied earlier with the new selection. So you have to be careful, or you'll end up starting all over.

Hope that helps, even it isn't the simple 'get rid of the bars' preference setting you were hoping for.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts