Dvd transfer to ipad

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by donrougvie, Sep 16, 2012.

1. donrougvie

donrougvie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an ipad 2 but no other computer. I want to transfer my huge dvd collection into itunes but obviously need both hardware and software. Can anyone suggest where I go with this please?

2. Andyvalver

Andyvalver
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if you can do that even with a pc mate. I'd like info on this too

Sent from my iPad 3

3. TheRambler

TheRambler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    There are lots of ways to do it, but I can't think of one without a pc to convert and patch over to iTunes

4. donrougvie

donrougvie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Didnt know if I could use a wireless dvd drive

5. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst
    Expand Collapse

To do it without a computer, you would need something like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/26/samsung-optical-smart-hub-se-208bw-review/

will stream your DVDs directly to your iPad2.

6. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Does not put them on the iPad though. Just allows you to watch them straight from the DVD. I would not recommend putting your entire movie collection onto an iPad as you would run plain run out of space.

7. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst
    Expand Collapse

If you convert your DVDs, they don't take up that much space, about 1-1.5GB or so, but if you don't have a computer to do it with, there are not that many options to watch a movie from DVD on an iPad, let alone copy one over from DVD to an iPad.

Another option would be for the OP to take his collection to Walmart and use their Video transfer service to turn them all into VuDu (VUDU - Setup iPad) Digital Copies (VUDU - Disc to Digital), but at that point, it would be easier and cheaper to just get a $300 PC from the electronics department, and use that to convert the DVDs to iPad format.

But considering that the smarthub sells for about $40 (Amazon.com: Samsung SE-208BW optical SmartHub Wi-Fi streamer for USB Storage and DVD/CD: Computers & Accessories) it does provide a good solution for what the OP is asking for at a very reasonable price.

8. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but if you have a whole collection as the OP mentioned, it would fill up pretty quick, even on a 64gb. Without a PC, Mac or NAS they have no way of storing these long term, swapping out to the iPad for viewing.

9. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst
    Expand Collapse

True. You would need something like a WiDrive or a GoFlex WiFi to go along with it if you were able to save the movies.

But the whole scenario is a bit unusual.

Basically the answer to the OP question should be "a computer".

10. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. The portable drives are handy, I have a WiDrive but have not used it much. Will come in handy for traveling.

I couldn't own an iPad without a PC or Mac to backup to and manage my large music library.