What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD To iPad

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its a technicality, it is illegal but not if that makes sense, as what would be the point in buying an ipod if you couldn't put the cd you just brought on it?

There's also a right to make a 'backup' of said CD's and DVD's, but only if you own an original, it is a very grey area, so just continue in doing as you do, it would be extremely hard to track this activity let alone pursue the law!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tnbug said:
So in the US it's legal to copy CD & DVD music and videos to our iPad?

Yes, as long as the CD's&DVD's are owned by you and you only move the ripped files onto your own devices, is it legal. However, the ripped digital copy is only legal, as long as you own the original container file, so ripping a CD/DVD and than selling it, would require you to also delete the ripped file.

Thanks.. These are DVD's & CD's i purchase for myself. And wanted to add to my iPad.

Reaction score
DVD43 is also a viable solution, as long as the operating system used is Windows in a 32-bit edition. The program doesn't work on 64-bit Windows. There is a work-around by the developers, where they have developed a plug-in, which has the same features, but unless the dvd ripping software has a plug-in support, it won't work. So using DVD43+Handbrake will not work on 64-bit Windows. But for 32-bit systems, that is a good free combination.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I find the easiest solution by far is 2 step.

1) rip DVD in DVDshrink. It's free.
2) format the ripped VOB file in HandBreak.

The whole process is a few clicks, and on the average quad core, a 2 hour movie can be up and playing on your iPad within 2 hours or so.

Most reactions

Latest posts