What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD To iPad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure where you live but US copyright law prohibits the sale of software that can copy copy-protected DVDs and BluRay discs. iPad Forum does not allow any discussion of illegal activities and neither does it condone such activities. I recognise, of course, that the law on this issue varies from country to country.

Tim

OP
B

bieters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, isn't it allowed to rip dvd that you own?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
it might be worth clearing these issues up Tim, ie, what are the legalitys of ripping dvd/blue ray movies of any kind. and music from cd. i know software is legal to download and buy, but illegal to use for illicit purposes. question is, what are those purposes?

we all do it and ask questions about it in here, but should we? the last thing we want to do is promote wrong use.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the UK this is indeed correct but the record companies and film companies "turn a blind eye" when users copy cd's and dvd's to our iPods, iPhones etc, the reason for this is it would be so hard to police these activities and in turn would also prove difficult to prove the legality of it or not.

I read in depth about this the other day but can't remember where...

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
So we are infact committing an illegal act.

Im sure this won't morally effect most peeps here, but I'm assuming its ok to chat about such issues in the forums here? I mean, yesterday someone said they had problems ripping a Disney DVD. This is because they use their own special protection, but there are obviously ways around this. But talking about it seems wrong. But there's no difference difference between a Disney DVD and any other DVD, yet there's a ream of threads explaining how to rip.

Reaction score
The situation is somewhat tricky, but unless you plan on selling ripping software, it does not conflict with the law:

"In her ruling, Judge Marilyn Hall Patel said that the complex meant that it was not illegal for consumers to copy their own DVDs – just illegal to produce a program that allowed them to do so.

"While it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally-owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies.""

So we end up in a situation, where it is illegal to produce said program, but we can buy and use it legally.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/aug/12/real-realdvd

The above case is from the US. Germany has similar laws, where they only make it illegal to circumvent "effective" copy-protection methods. However, the copy-protection methods used for DVD's are already widely known and can be easily circumvented, so they don't count as effective methods, which makes it legal to rip DVD's with said copy-protection.

The UK does seem to be an exception in this regard.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
In the uk it's like police speed scanners for your car - it's legal to make, sell and purchase, as long as you don't use them for police scanning.

Cannabis growing equipment - perfectly legal to buy and use except obviously not for cannabis.

tnbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So in the US it's legal to copy CD Music & DVD Videos to iPad?

Last edited:
Reaction score
tnbug said:
So in the US it's legal to copy CD & DVD music and videos to our iPad?

Yes, as long as the CD's&DVD's are owned by you and you only move the ripped files onto your own devices, is it legal. However, the ripped digital copy is only legal, as long as you own the original container file, so ripping a CD/DVD and than selling it, would require you to also delete the ripped file.

OP
B

bieters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, can handbrake rip my own dvd's to iPad?
Or is another program needed for this?

Most reactions

Latest posts