What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD to iPad

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using cucusoft DVD to iPad converter. Yesi had to pay for it,but it's awesome. It also includes an avi etc converter. It is simple to use and is made solely to convert to iPad format. It's also one stop shopping. Just put in the DVD and it converts it. Therre are many options including one that allows you to convert without having to press even one button. He quality is also fantastic and no I don't work for the company! It's not free though.

iwantanipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to try some different settings on handbrake and see if I can improve the quality. I did them some time ago and for the smaller screens on my iPods they were great, but to see the HB movies next to my digital copies on the larger screen sort of takes the fun out of it.

I never really minded the quality issues on my PowerBook, but the iPad is only at arms length so it's much more noticeable.

Did you ever find anything besides using the apple tv present. And does anyone know how to use handbrake so that the screen is fully used, when using handbrake the movie does not take up the full screen, I know you can expand using the top right button, but it doesn't change the resoltion so it doesn't look great. THanks

iwantanipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to try some different settings on handbrake and see if I can improve the quality. I did them some time ago and for the smaller screens on my iPods they were great, but to see the HB movies next to my digital copies on the larger screen sort of takes the fun out of it.

I never really minded the quality issues on my PowerBook, but the iPad is only at arms length so it's much more noticeable.

Did you ever find anything besides using the apple tv present. And does anyone know how to use handbrake so that the screen is fully used, when using handbrake the movie does not take up the full screen, I know you can expand using the top right button, but it doesn't change the resoltion so it doesn't look great. THanks

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can find iPad presets for Handbrake here: Optimized Handbrake Presets to Encode Video for Your New iPad or iPhone 4

As far as getting the screen fully used, in most cases that isn't going to happen unless you encode the video to an aspect ratio different than the source material. When you do that you are going to either lose some source material or get a picture that looks stretched or squeezed. The iPad screen isn't the ideal aspect ratio for watching widescreen video unfortunately, so getting used to the black bars on top and bottom is the best solution.

Last edited:

iwantanipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacTheRipper 4.0 > handbrake 0.9.4 > sync to ipad

There are better options than handbrake, but you need to know what you are doing with video encoding. Handbrake is more than fine.
Stay away from popcorn, toast, ripit, visual hub, isquint, ect. It is all crapware.

What is the mactheripper for? I'm using handbrake but am not using Mactheripper, or anything like that, yet I dont notice any problems in the video on the iPad. The only other thing I have is some program called VNC.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have lost count of the number of threads asking this.

Please use the search box.

But yes, Handbrake + VLC is good.

Handbrake can't get past all copy protection, so RipIt is a great program for getting movies onto your computer, which you can then encode with Handbrake.

jerry brown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What the best way to get my DVD to my iPad? I get the digital copy now with most of my Blueray. But I have a lot of old DVD I need to load..:ipad-peacock:

Well, if you are a strong-hands-on-skill guy and have a external DVD-rom at hand by change, try to connect it to you iPad and enjoy your DVD with your iPad. in this way you can learn much..

Most reactions

Latest posts