What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb question about web browsing.

EKhatch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I am on a website and I click on a link that takes me to YouTube or the apps store I can't figure out how to get back to the web page I was originally viewing. I know it must be simple but I couldn't find an answer and feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are forward and back arrows at the top left of the screen. Use the left one to take you back one page.

If you are on a page that you think you will come back to often, long press on the link. When the popup menu shows choose Open in New Page. You can get back to those pages by pressing the double square icon. It is just to the right of the forward and back arrows. There you will find up to nine pages that you have stored this way.

Some links, ones that open in new tabs on desktop browsers, will open a new page automatically.

OP
EKhatch

EKhatch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no forward/back buttons when you click on a web link that opens the YouTube player or the app store. There is not a double square icon either like when there are multiple web pages open. I can find no possible way to go back to the web page the link was on after I click on it and the YouTube player opens or the app store opens.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no forward/back buttons when you click on a web link that opens the YouTube player or the app store. There is not a double square icon either like when there are multiple web pages open. I can find no possible way to go back to the web page the link was on after I click on it and the YouTube player opens or the app store opens.

Are you using iOS 4.2? If so, you can 'double tap' the 'Home' key to open the multi-tasking bar, which appears at the bottom of the screen. This shows all the tasks that are running. You'll see the Safari task there. Just tap that icon and you're back in Safari at the original page. By the way, while you've got the multi-task bar open, you can close tasks you no longer want to run. Just press *and hold* any task and, after a while, they all start to 'jiggle' and have a cross in their upper left-hand edge. Press the cross on any task you want to close and it will disappear. Note, you are only closing the app, not deleting it! To exit the multi-task bar either hit the 'home' key or touch anywhere in the task that's running above the multi-task bar.

Good luck!

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yup, yup, what Tim said. When you go to YouTube or the App Store you've actually left the Safari browser. You have to go back to it, either by the method he described, or by closing the app you are in with the home key and opening Safari again.

It should open right back on the page you left.

Most reactions

Latest posts