What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb newby question about 3G units

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on getting an iPad 2 with 3G simply to have the option of using cell service if I need/want it. Plus I want the GPS feature. I'm torn between carriers - both have good coverage around here, but I like the Verizon plans just a little more than ATT. I'd be fine with either one though. So, my question:) Does anyone know if the 3G versions have the carrier's logo stamped on them at the location of the 3G radio? For some reason, I really hate the Verizon logo. It's irrational, I know, but I just don't like it at all. Believe it or not, the answer to this might sway my decision!

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't say for sure but most likely no. The current does not and they don't make them just for us carriers.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on getting an iPad 2 with 3G simply to have the option of using cell service if I need/want it. Plus I want the GPS feature. I'm torn between carriers - both have good coverage around here, but I like the Verizon plans just a little more than ATT. I'd be fine with either one though. So, my question:) Does anyone know if the 3G versions have the carrier's logo stamped on them at the location of the 3G radio? For some reason, I really hate the Verizon logo. It's irrational, I know, but I just don't like it at all. Believe it or not, the answer to this might sway my decision!

Apple doesn't allow carrier branding on their products. My Verizon iPhone is clean as anyone elses....also there are no carriers apps pre-installed on the iPhone (unlike every android POS)....so what you get is what you get regardless of the carrier...the only difference is the word Verizon or AT&T in the corner....now as far as service goes...there is a huge difference!

melsnel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also trying to decide between Verizon and AT&T. I have heard a lot of complaints about the AT&T coverage, but Verizon will be charging an activation fee every time you sign up for a month of service. Since I plan to add the service and delete it as my needs require, that is really pricey. I confirmed on the AT&T site that there are no activation fees. I have always been a devoted Verizon customer, but the activation fee just seems like a rip off to me. Any thoughts?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Activation fee for turning the service off and on as needed? (no, not talking about enabling and disabling the radio) Wow, that is a rip off. If AT&T would have done that I would be broke now.

Yes, that is a rip off.

If you are looking for which service is best, just start asking people, or go by your own experience with your phone.

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also trying to decide between Verizon and AT&T. I have heard a lot of complaints about the AT&T coverage, but Verizon will be charging an activation fee every time you sign up for a month of service. Since I plan to add the service and delete it as my needs require, that is really pricey. I confirmed on the AT&T site that there are no activation fees. I have always been a devoted Verizon customer, but the activation fee just seems like a rip off to me. Any thoughts?

I'm having the same problem as you. I live in real dead zone, and Verizon is the only coverage I can get, but that activation fee is horrible. I'm wondering if I can somehow tether the ipad to my rooted droid?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tweeter said:
I'm having the same problem as you. I live in real dead zone, and Verizon is the only coverage I can get, but that activation fee is horrible. I'm wondering if I can somehow tether the ipad to my rooted droid?

Sure u can, I have a rooted droid x with wireless tether app and tether my droid t iPad all the time when I'm at work or not home...and guess what...it's FREE!!!!

OP
P

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's that's the case, I'll go with ATT for sure. Is this certain though? I can't tell because they just don't say much about the plan on their site yet. I signed up for the Verizon iPad e-mail alerts, but have not received any info yet.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am also trying to decide between verizon and at&t. I have heard a lot of complaints about the at&t coverage, but verizon will be charging an activation fee every time you sign up for a month of service. Since i plan to add the service and delete it as my needs require, that is really pricey. I confirmed on the at&t site that there are no activation fees. I have always been a devoted verizon customer, but the activation fee just seems like a rip off to me. Any thoughts?

i'm having the same problem as you. I live in real dead zone, and verizon is the only coverage i can get, but that activation fee is horrible. I'm wondering if i can somehow tether the ipad to my rooted droid?

verizon has the best coverage but they told me it would be $400 dollars to activate the plan with them for the xoom and i could get my money back in 6-8 weeks. Wtf so for the ipad 2 3g i would be looking at $1029 + tax wtf x2. But i would tell you to go to the marketplace and download mywifi or just type in wifi and there are a ton of apps that let stock android phone turn into mifi. So you can ditch the 3g option for more memory.this is the route i was going to do but i just returned my lg optimus v today so i could go 16 gb +3g with at&t. When you look at 3 gb with at&t is $35 just like verizon just react fees and scams.

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tweeter said:

Sure u can, I have a rooted droid x with wireless tether app and tether my droid t iPad all the time when I'm at work or not home...and guess what...it's FREE!!!!

Did you have to do anything to the iPad to do the tether? I have an Archos tablet that I love, but can't tether it to save my soul. Wish I was better at this stuff.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheapest solution if you don't have a contract phone all ready.get a virgin mobile lg optimus v for $130 then the $25 plan a month. Its mobile hotspot ready just download mywifi. Go to your wireless network on tab. Search for android ap ,connect, and your set

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tweeter said:
Did you have to do anything to the iPad to do the tether? I have an Archos tablet that I love, but can't tether it to save my soul. Wish I was better at this stuff.

Nope your tether from your phone is just sending the signal via wifi for your IPad to pick up, after u connect the first time, whenever you cut your tether app on it will automatically connect to your tablet, well it does for the iPad, I'm not familiar with archos thought about the auto connect

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I was beginnning to think it might be easier to just move to a non-dead zone.

I've always loved Verizon until I saw their iPad plan.

melsnel

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's that's the case, I'll go with ATT for sure. Is this certain though? I can't tell because they just don't say much about the plan on their site yet. I signed up for the Verizon iPad e-mail alerts, but have not received any info yet.

I saw an article online this morning that broke down the fees for the 2 companies. Since I have Verizon, I called and asked if the activation fee was for real and the guy told me yes, but that AT&T charged a $36 activiation fee. So I went to the AT&T site and it clearly says NO ACTIVATION OR TERMINATION FEES. So I called Verizon back and asked if they would waive my activation fees since I have been a good customer for years and years and the woman, who was very nice, told me that the activation fees cannot be waived unless I sign up for a 2 year contract. No thanks. As much as I love Verizon service, I just don't think I can swallow that. What I do wonder, though, is if they will stop charging the fee when they realize everyone is going to AT&T. Verizon is pretty sneaky about the fee, too. It is not listed anywhere on their website.

Most reactions

Latest posts