What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual charging lead?

veggiop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fivefingers.me
Was just wondering if anyones seen such a thing as a dual charging lead so i can charge my ipad and iPhone 4 from the same plug?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This would work if you can find a usb adapter that will put out enough power.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Splitter-Cable-Charge-Devices/dp/B003Z5CX3E/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299818900&sr=1-10]Amazon.com: Dual iPhone / iPod Splitter Cable. Charge up to Two Apple Devices At Once From a Single USB Port: Electronics[/ame]

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David79 that's a good find, the trouble is, as far as I can tell the iPad can't charge properly using it's own USB cable plugged into a computer or powered hub, it charges, but at a trickle rate rather than at full. My concern would be putting even more of a strain on the USB ports power output by connecting another device, I believe Apple should have doubled up the USB plugs on the iPad cable to start with, much like the ones supplied with some external USB powered hard drives.

I myself use a charger dock with iPad and iPod/iPhone connectors to charge my iPod and iPad at the same time. It doesn't have a computer connection for syncing to iTunes though, I do that through the supplied cable.

I use this one [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC23126-Powerdock-Charger-iPhone/dp/B004BNSRGQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299911278&sr=1-3[/ame]

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ya i knew it wouldnt work with pc but wasnt sure if there was a usb adapter that could handle the strain.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David79
By adaptor do you mean USB Hub? I have a Belkin 7 port independently powered USB Hub and it can't supply enough power for the full iPad charging rate. As far as I'm aware the USB port supplies a standard power output, that's why some USB powered external hard drives have an additional plug, to utilise an additional USB socket if needed.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very cool docking ports...The only back thing is I'd have to take my iPad out of the case and I try to avoid that as much as possible...

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IpadOhana
The one I use has clearance in front and behind the docking plug, the plug actually swivels slightly and isn't just fixed like other docks, it's the same for the iPod/phone plug. If your case is like a leather type book binding, or isn't too thick I'm sure the dock would allow for docking without removing it. I don't have a case for my iPad yet but I use a wallet type case with my iPod touch and it docks with it in place.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no I meant like the one that comes with ipad, they sell others that have 1-4 ports, they pluf right in to a wall outlet, figured something like that would work.

Most reactions

Latest posts