Dual charging lead?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by veggiop, Mar 10, 2011.

1. veggiop

veggiop
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Was just wondering if anyones seen such a thing as a dual charging lead so i can charge my ipad and iPhone 4 from the same plug?

2. 8nobody8

8nobody8
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not sure but I saw a duel doc on eBay which looked cool

3. David79

David79
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    This would work if you can find a usb adapter that will put out enough power.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Splitter-Cable-Charge-Devices/dp/B003Z5CX3E/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299818900&sr=1-10]Amazon.com: Dual iPhone / iPod Splitter Cable. Charge up to Two Apple Devices At Once From a Single USB Port: Electronics[/ame]

4. Davebarrie

Davebarrie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Zagg makes this, I think it's a good company but Idk

5. wnaylor

wnaylor
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  6. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    David79 that's a good find, the trouble is, as far as I can tell the iPad can't charge properly using it's own USB cable plugged into a computer or powered hub, it charges, but at a trickle rate rather than at full. My concern would be putting even more of a strain on the USB ports power output by connecting another device, I believe Apple should have doubled up the USB plugs on the iPad cable to start with, much like the ones supplied with some external USB powered hard drives.

I myself use a charger dock with iPad and iPod/iPhone connectors to charge my iPod and iPad at the same time. It doesn't have a computer connection for syncing to iTunes though, I do that through the supplied cable.

I use this one [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC23126-Powerdock-Charger-iPhone/dp/B004BNSRGQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299911278&sr=1-3[/ame]

#6 Gazzaho, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. David79

David79
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    ya i knew it wouldnt work with pc but wasnt sure if there was a usb adapter that could handle the strain.

8. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    David79
    By adaptor do you mean USB Hub? I have a Belkin 7 port independently powered USB Hub and it can't supply enough power for the full iPad charging rate. As far as I'm aware the USB port supplies a standard power output, that's why some USB powered external hard drives have an additional plug, to utilise an additional USB socket if needed.

9. iPadOhana

iPadOhana
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Very cool docking ports...The only back thing is I'd have to take my iPad out of the case and I try to avoid that as much as possible...

10. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    IpadOhana
    The one I use has clearance in front and behind the docking plug, the plug actually swivels slightly and isn't just fixed like other docks, it's the same for the iPod/phone plug. If your case is like a leather type book binding, or isn't too thick I'm sure the dock would allow for docking without removing it. I don't have a case for my iPad yet but I use a wallet type case with my iPod touch and it docks with it in place.