Dual charging lead?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by veggiop, Mar 10, 2011.

1. veggiop

veggiop iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was just wondering if anyones seen such a thing as a dual charging lead so i can charge my ipad and iPhone 4 from the same plug?
  2. 8nobody8

8nobody8 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not sure but I saw a duel doc on eBay which looked cool
  3. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    This would work if you can find a usb adapter that will put out enough power.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Splitter-Cable-Charge-Devices/dp/B003Z5CX3E/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299818900&sr=1-10]Amazon.com: Dual iPhone / iPod Splitter Cable. Charge up to Two Apple Devices At Once From a Single USB Port: Electronics[/ame]
  4. Davebarrie

Davebarrie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Zagg makes this, I think it's a good company but Idk
  5. wnaylor

wnaylor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Gazzaho

Gazzaho iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    David79 that's a good find, the trouble is, as far as I can tell the iPad can't charge properly using it's own USB cable plugged into a computer or powered hub, it charges, but at a trickle rate rather than at full. My concern would be putting even more of a strain on the USB ports power output by connecting another device, I believe Apple should have doubled up the USB plugs on the iPad cable to start with, much like the ones supplied with some external USB powered hard drives.

I myself use a charger dock with iPad and iPod/iPhone connectors to charge my iPod and iPad at the same time. It doesn't have a computer connection for syncing to iTunes though, I do that through the supplied cable.

I use this one [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC23126-Powerdock-Charger-iPhone/dp/B004BNSRGQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299911278&sr=1-3[/ame]
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    ya i knew it wouldnt work with pc but wasnt sure if there was a usb adapter that could handle the strain.
  8. Gazzaho

Gazzaho iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    David79
    By adaptor do you mean USB Hub? I have a Belkin 7 port independently powered USB Hub and it can't supply enough power for the full iPad charging rate. As far as I'm aware the USB port supplies a standard power output, that's why some USB powered external hard drives have an additional plug, to utilise an additional USB socket if needed.
  9. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Very cool docking ports...The only back thing is I'd have to take my iPad out of the case and I try to avoid that as much as possible...
  10. Gazzaho

Gazzaho iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    IpadOhana
    The one I use has clearance in front and behind the docking plug, the plug actually swivels slightly and isn't just fixed like other docks, it's the same for the iPod/phone plug. If your case is like a leather type book binding, or isn't too thick I'm sure the dock would allow for docking without removing it. I don't have a case for my iPad yet but I use a wallet type case with my iPod touch and it docks with it in place.
  11. David79

David79 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    no I meant like the one that comes with ipad, they sell others that have 1-4 ports, they pluf right in to a wall outlet, figured something like that would work.