What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropped Ipad 2 in tub.

micmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I dropped my iPad 2 in the tub last night while it was on. I took it out immediately and dried it off. It seems as though nothing happened, everything works fine. I'm wondering if I got away with a lucky break or if water damage can surface later on? Has this happened to anyone else?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I dropped my iPad 2 in the tub last night while it was on. I took it out immediately and dried it off. It seems as though nothing happened, everything works fine. I'm wondering if I got away with a lucky break or if water damage can surface later on? Has this happened to anyone else?
Internal corrosion and damage can worsen over time. I'd say you were very lucky, as the one thing we tell everybody who has an accident like yours is do not turn the iPad on and turn it off if it's on. It's recommended that the iPad be placed for several days in dry rice to absorb any moisture that may be present. Apple places several moisture detectors in an iPad, one of which is at the bottom of the headphone jack. You could shine a light down there and see if the detector has turned red, the sign of moisture exposure.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I shudder when I read your post. That is my worst nightmare to have my iPad close to anything that pertains to water, drinks, etc. I guess I worry like that.

So glad that you didn't have anything go wrong with your iPad. Do you have a case on it? I wonder-maybe that helped it!

Skimonkey ~ ipadforum Moderator | iPhoneforum Moderator

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suggest you get a waterproof case if you're going to have an iPad near a tub or near any water.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gosh, I shuddered also on reading of your mishap!

I would turn it off immediately and put it in dry rice as Scifan has advised and hope for the best!

My daughter did this with her iphone 5, just not the bath though.....it was fine at first but within a couple of weeks it started to go haywire.

She took it to Apple as it was still under warranty and they gave her a new one but she had to pay a couple of hundred dollars for it

Basic warranty doesn't cover this sort of thing, so she was very lucky to get the deal she did!

Good luck!!

tron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The question is...does it look cleaner now :D ?

Most reactions